Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
MrSoapsud
Dabbler

Re: Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

I've been seeing this problem for many months and had a ticket open since early December. I was told in early Feb that a fix was being worked on but still the delays happen. Emails about ticket updates don't always get sent either so I've only just seen the @googlemail suggestion but will give it a go. 

Initially Plusnet were telling me it was a Google problem (as seems to be the case) and to contact Mr Google about it - like that's easy to do with a free GMail account...

Just adding a post on here in the hope I might see updates here before I see anything on my ticket...

Martin

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It is a gmail problem, the issue being that Google is not entering into a dialogue over what causes free Gmail to behave as it does where as Googlemail or paid for Gmail does not.

The February mitigation did not work, which frankly given Google has not provided clarity over their reasons for their actions is not really a surprise.

Additional mitigation measures are being investigated but like SPF their implementation is not a trivial activity.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrSoapsud
Dabbler

Thanks for the clarification. Would have appreciated some more clarity on the ticket I opened, especially since I provided (and clearly understood) SMTP mail headers from messages.

I guess the supplementary question I would ask is whether other ISPs are having similar issues delivering to GMail accounts?

Martin

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@MrSoapsud wrote:
Would have appreciated some more clarity on the ticket I opened, especially since I provided (and clearly understood) SMTP mail headers from messages.

I don't think the support agent you spoke to would have been that knowledgable around the specific issue, we did implement a change but it didn't have the desired effect. We're working on something else now, but in honesty it's difficult, we've made repeated attempts to contact Google but we've yet to hear back from them.

I guess the supplementary question I would ask is whether other ISPs are having similar issues delivering to GMail accounts?

It's not just ISP's there are a number of email providers who experience difficulty, a quick look on their forum will give you an idea. 

Sorry for the inconvenience

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I am also having a problem with sending emails from my plusnet accounts to recipients with gmail accounts. Email are not being received or are taking several days to arrive. Emails to other account types are delivered instantly. This is becoming a problem as I do charity work and am getting complaints from people saying they are not getting my emails. I would like to know what the correct fix is.

MrSoapsud
Dabbler

Send to recipient@googlemail.com instead for the time being. It just works...

Martin

LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for that suggestion, it seems to work so far.

IanmacPN
Dabbler

I too have been running with this for many many months now. It is becoming a real pain. I got caught yesterday doing a financial tranaction when I did not notice the other party was on a gmail address

We are paying plusnet for an email service which does not work with another email provider.

Is this a matter for OFCOM or some authority who sets the standard that all email services should work to  ?Huh

Plusnet is  owned by BT do BT customers have this issue ?Huh

Is there an authority who overseas the technical standards all email services should work to.I want to write to them.

We are not getting any progress from Plusnet ?Huh

sirjestalot
Grafter

@MrSoapsud wrote:

Send to recipient@googlemail.com instead for the time being. It just works...

This suggestion has been made several times by several people (including myself) over the last few months.  It pays to read through a forum discussion thread before asking, which would save folk having to repeat themselves 🙂

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@IanmacPN

I'd probably direct you to @JonoH 's previous response which might help to answer some of your concerns a little. 

"I don't think the support agent you spoke to would have been that knowledgable around the specific issue, we did implement a change but it didn't have the desired effect. We're working on something else now, but in honesty it's difficult, we've made repeated attempts to contact Google but we've yet to hear back from them.

It's not just ISP's there are a number of email providers who experience difficulty, a quick look on their forum will give you an idea. 

Sorry for the inconvenience

This is something we're trying to resolve, in the meantime have you tried the recommended suggestion of using recipient@googlemail.com instead of gmail.com

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@IanmacPN wrote:

We are paying plusnet for an email service which does not work with another email provider.

If you've read any detail on this thread, you will have realised that the faulty end of this problem is Gmail, not Plusnet.  The first email sent to a FREE Gmail account from a @myaccount.plus.com email address gets through straight away.  Subsequent ones encounter deferred acceptance by Gmail.  Paid for Gmail and Googlemail addressees do not encounter this issue.  I find it odd that a professional financial body would be using a free Gmail account... 

Is this a matter for OFCOM or some authority who sets the standard that all email services should work to  ?Huh

Interesting question - Ofcom has I understand it some governance over what UK companies do, so I guess their reach does not extend to what Google does.  You might note though that Ofcom is quite ineffectual in fixing BT Openreach - they need to ask permission from Brussels first.

Plusnet is  owned by BT do BT customers have this issue ?Huh

The group ownership of Plusnet has no baring on what Gmail does.

Is there an authority who overseas the technical standards all email services should work to.I want to write to them.

That would be the owner of the relevant RFCs

We are not getting any progress from Plusnet ?Huh

We have seen a lot of progress from Plusnet - what we have not seen is professional engagement from Google on what is actually the issue.  It is odd that a professional service provider should behave in the manner Google is doing so.  You can read on their support forums numerous organisations suffering from this issue, there not being a single response from support staff.  There are references to the desirability of implementing a raft of nice to have spam mitigation measures ... but empirical experience shows that emailing works OK without them ... so it is not the case that those standards are firmly required, for if they were then no mail from Plusnet users would ever be accepted.

The implementation of one of those standards SPF was not a trivial activity requiring substantial work (including changing some user's email accounts) which upon implementation was found to cause new problems and has since been withdrawn.

Investigations and potential remedies are being worked on, but in the absence of cooperation from Google, its somewhat akin to looking for a black cat in dark cellar with no torch.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero

Just wanted to pop on and provide a quick update about where we are, I understand it's frustrating and this issue has been happening for sometime.

A further layer of desirable (but non-essential) email spam mitigation was implemented on *.plus.com, *.force9.co.uk, *.freeonline.co.uk domain names around 15:00 on 10th April 2019.  We believe that this should improve the Gmail email acceptance issues reported in this thread.  It is possible that there might be still a few edge cases where this mitigation does not address the issue.

If anyone experiences similar delivery delays to emails sent after 15:00 BST on 10th April 2019, please report them here.  In the meantime further work in this area will continue.

Jono H
PeterB1
Rising Star

Many thanks, JonoH.

I've just sent a series of test messages from my *.plus.com account.

I sent five to my @gmail.com account and a further two to the alias @googlemail.com.

All seven were delivered more or less instantaneously, though not quite in the order they were sent.

At first sight, this seems a big step forward, doesn't it?

What's your guess about whether this will be sustained?

Do you have enough evidence/feedback yet to judge whether this might at last be a solution?

barcud
Grafter

Yes,

Thanks JonoH too.

Just tried three emails Plusnet to Gmail in quick succession all to the same email address and they arrived smartly. Just had time to refresh the inbox and they were there.

JonoH
Hero

@PeterB1 wro

I sent five to my @gmail.com account and a further two to the alias @googlemail.com.

Sending it to the googlemail alias or the gmail account shouldn't make a difference, we've seen in the logs both be delayed.

What's your guess about whether this will be sustained?

Do you have enough evidence/feedback yet to judge whether this might at last be a solution?

We're honestly not sure. It certainly should but as we're unable to ask Google directly we're only guessing and that is one of the reasons why after deploying the change a few days ago we're waiting till now to tell you as we didn't know if it would be sustained or if we'd have to roll it back.

In efforts to ensure that this problem doesn't return we're adding more anti spam measures to the platform over the coming weeks.

Jono H