Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
steveal
Grafter

Re: Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

Can anyone explain this "non-existent" email security?

jric
Dabbler

This is a thread about delays and non-delivery to Gmail, so probably best to look up security issues separately on the relevant threads, of which there have been a few over the years. Try searching for Plusnet TLS/SSL. 

Brian123
Hooked

Hello.

Mail from my plusnet box sometimes takes 3 or more days to arrive in my gmail box, this delay started a week ago.

Email header suggests there was a 3 day delay between avasout07.plus.net -> mx.google.com

JonoH, I guess it's an issue between plusnet & gmail. Do you know if a fix is round the corner?

Thanks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Brian,

A warm welcome to the forums.

This issue has been going on for a long time, ever since Gmail changed something on their email service which they have not been clear about.  It only impacts emails sent from @Username.plus.com email addresses to free @gmail.com addresses.  If the email is sent...

• From a private domain name hosted on your Plusnet account - there is no issue (note domain hosting is now a legacy feature)
  • To paid for Gmail addresses - there is no issue
  • To the @googlemail.com (or @googlemail.co.uk) aliases for @gmail.com addresses - there is no problem

The issue is NOT anything to do with SENDING email to Gmail.com, but with that service ACCEPTING send attempts.

Gmail support information is not exactly helpful in respect of these symptoms; it suggests doing things which are very evidently not required and when attempted to be implemented caused wider problems.  Gmail support have not responded to enquiries made by a large number of people on their support forums.

In the meantime other measures are being investigated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Brian123
Hooked

Many thanks for the info Townman, most prompt & helpful.

Cheers

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Brian,

You are most welcome - if it helped, please feel free to give a thumbs up.

Your quest prompted me to return to a recent series of tests I ran - on the 12th March I sent five test emails to both a free Gmail account and a paid for Gmail account...

• The paid for account received all five emails instantly
  • In respect of the free Gmail account
    • #2 arrived immediately (14:31 time of sending)
    • #1 arrived over 2 hours later (16:58 )
    • #4 arrived another 22 hours later (+1d after sending at 15:05)
    • #3 arrived another 40 hours later (+3d after sending at 07:04)
    • #5 arrived another 20 hours later (+4d after sending at 03:06)

Though some users have reported that some emails are never delivered, I have not seen that, but as shown above some very long variable delays.  There is evidence that Gmail resets its deferral delay; the above variability suggests having hit 40 hours, the nest delay is shorter.  I have also seen evidence that sending another test batch (for example between #1 and #4 above being received) sets a new delay sequence similar to the above.

Manually running tests is a bit of a pain … I might look at setting up some automation to generate batches of tests … but then that would look like spamming … the very thing Google put these (undocumented) measures in pace to stop!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Brian123
Hooked

Good luck on your RnD, Townman & thanks for taking an interest.

I'll admit, I didn't know you could have a "paid" Google email account but I've no intention of handing any dosh over to

those guys as I figure they have quite enough money already.

My boss sends his emails to both my Plusnet & Gmail boxes, they pop through promptly and ok on both. His mailbox

is doubtless linked to the Company website, so probably pays extra for that. Hos provider is BT.

This old twit has now set his phone up to send/receive using my Plusnet mail box so this problem with gmail is

circumvented.

Thanks again

Brian

nightowl

I've got the same issue - I do have a plus.net account but I use gmail because it's easier to pick up my mails anywhere with a cloud based service .  My husband uses plus.net.    My plus.net account is virtually dormant  I think. 

This issue has been driving me nuts because we email eachother often regarding various things and his mails can take anything from 2 hours to 2 days to reach me. 

My husband used to be in IT and agrees it's a google issue not a Plusnet one  and as Google don't reply there is nothing I can do from that end. 

I did contact Gmail support about it and never received an acknowledgement or reply.  My suggestion was that if google are going to apply a "? - not authenticated" token to an email address, Gmail users ought to have the option to mark known addresses as a 'safe sender'  (and there should be code in place to ensure that   once marked by a user as a genuine safe email address, there are no longer delays.  But there is no option to do that.   

My other half is of the opinion that it's my problem not his...(true).

Having read through a lot of this thread...if I tell him to send to me as xyz@googlemail.com rather than gmail.com, is the general consensus that this  might help the email reach me quicker? 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A warm welcome to the forums.
It is certainly worth trying.

JHA1E
Grafter

Has there been an update from Plus Net recently?

sirjestalot
Grafter

@nightowl wrote:

[...]

Having read through a lot of this thread...if I tell him to send to me as xyz@googlemail.com rather than gmail.com, is the general consensus that this  might help the email reach me quicker? 

I can certainly confirm that email sent to X@googlemail.com rather than X@gmail.com seems to suffer no delay.  When replying to messages from gmail.com addresses, I do have to remember to edit the replyee's address so as to change the gmail.com component to the googlemail.com version, otherwise my reply would likely suffer delay.  Needless to say, I've been too hasty on a few occasions and forgotten to make that change 🙂

Brian123
Hooked

Mr Sirjestalot.

Well done, sir. Confirmed your results.

Test message 1 from my Plusnet box to my  @googlemail.com box arrives fairly instantly.

Test 2 using Plusnet to my @gmail.com box is delayed.

Many thanks!

nightowl

yup. that works!  

So for sending mail to gmail contacts the work around seems to be to use googlemail address.  When replying to gmail users, plusnet users will need to edit the reply address from gmail to googlemail.  

It doesn't help everyone but it will resolve the issue for many...thanks all 

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@JHA1E wrote:

Has there been an update from Plus Net recently?

Not really as there's very little new information other than we're working on another solution that's currently in testing. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
sirjestalot
Grafter

@nightowl wrote:
So for sending mail to gmail contacts the work around seems to be to use googlemail address.  When replying to gmail users, plusnet users will need to edit the reply address from gmail to googlemail.  

I edited my address book (I use Mozilla Thunderbird) and changed all the 'gmail.com' entries to 'googlemail.com', so that new messages to an address book entry are always 'safely' addressed, but replies do of course still need to be edited as required. Provided that Google don't pull a fast one and close down the googlemail.com domain, I expect I'll keep to this arrangement.