Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Re: Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

Yes, I was getting over excited - the successfully received test emails were just a fluke.

Patiently waiting for the 28th! Smiley

sunkiddance
Dabbler

Just been reading (some) of this thread as I have been aware of the problem for a few months but needed to send an eMail to my landlord last week which they never received.

Glad there is a fix planned for the 28th but I do have a comment - unlike many posts claiming that mail sent to a googlemail.com address works, in my case it doesn't - not to gmail.com nor googlemail.com.

I use the Plusnet (Free-online) SMTP servers. The messages are sent from @Username.me.uk (although eMails from my @talk21.com address have also gone astray).

So I trust that the fix on the 28th will work for me as well.

Thanks

Terence

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@sunkiddance, that isn't what is being discussed in this thread, or what will be fixed.  The observations in here are that it is only emails sent from @[username].plus.com email addresses to @gmail.com email addresses that are getting delayed or on occasion not delivered.

The change that is being implemented will only impact @[username].plus.com emails.

To resolve your issue, which isn't something that I've heard of before (at least on any scale) you'll need to look to a different solution.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

We rolled out the SPF changes yesterday and unfortunately, these resulted in further problems including some emails being outright rejected by Gmail. I appreciate that this isn't the news that you'd hoped for but I wanted to be upfront with you all about the issues we are facing.

We haven't given up though, we've contacted Google again and asked what we can do to fix the issues and we're looking internally at what else can be done internally to mitigate this issue.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Lester
Hooked

Hi JonoH,

Thanks for the honest update. Have the changes been removed? as they might make the situation worse, in that an email from Plusnet to gmail might not reach its destination ever (as opposed to 24 hours late)?

I have resorted to sending everything to gmail users from my gmail address, but with reply address set to my Plusnet address (only learned this trick from another community contributor - thanks v. much).

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@Lester wrote:

Have the changes been removed? 

yes, we rolled back the changes immediately when it became apparent that it was making the situation worse. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
barcud
Grafter

Thanks JonoH, might explain why a 'googlemail' destined email didn't reach there yesterday.

Best of luck with Google; maybe they'll give a little now Plusnet have demonstrated they are willing to change?

Wombat77
Dabbler

Hi JonoH. Thanks for updates on this subject. I have posted on this before and hope that any info on my own tests might add to the knowledge base.

1. Sent a test email from my P/net account to my Gmail account on the 22nd February. It has still not arrived 11 days later. (I did check that it showed in the outbox)

2. Sent another on the 1st March,  Pnet to Gmail, this arrived today at 16.57 so only 2 days, that is a fantastic improvement!

For info: outgoing server settings SMTP are, relay.plus.net,  port 857. Incoming server, mail.plus.net, Port 110

This message carried the following warning, highlighted in yellow: " BE CAREFUL WITH THIS MESSAGE. Gmail could not verify that it actually came from plus.com. Avoid clicking links or downloading attachments or replying with personal information.

REPORT SPAM!  "

3. Today, I sent a test email from my Hotmail account to my Gmail account, this arrived almost instantly.

On this account my Pop3 server settings are,  mail.plus.net,  Port 110

Advice here please anyone, my security settings on Hotmail are set to "none" Should I change this to SSL or TLS? Comments appreciated.

JonoH, I hope any of the above may be added to ammo for your battle with the big "G". They obviously regard P/net as a dodgy business.Why completely baffles me as PlusNet, if it were ten times bigger, are hardly a threat to "G".

PumbaaUK

Hi there,

I too have been having significant problems with emails to gmail accounts, with emails either very delayed indeed or not arriving at all.

Looking forward to seeing some resolution as do not want to have to change email addresses if at all possible, but this is not workable at all.

Looking forward to updates on this thread!

sirjestalot
Grafter

@PumbaaUK wrote:

I too have been having significant problems with emails to gmail accounts, with emails either very delayed indeed or not arriving at all.

Just in case you're not already aware:   instead of emailing  xxxxx@gmail.com, try emailing xxxxx@googlemail,com - the two address types are equivalent but the googlemail.com version does not appear to suffer delays.  While I'm waiting for the problem to be resolved, I've changed all my gmail.com contacts to googlemail.com (though I still have to manually change the recipient when I do a reply).

PumbaaUK

That’s really helpful - I was not aware and will try that. Thank you!

jric
Dabbler

I would recommend that you just change email providers. I know it's a lot of trouble but it's more convenient in the long run. It's such peace of mind knowing that your emails are instant again and being received OK without all that messing and checking. Apart from the more recent gmail problems there is also the question of security which is another ongoing issue that has never been improved and that over MANY years. I only use Plusnet for unimportant mailing lists now – anything needing security or reliability goes elsewhere.

IanmacPN
Dabbler

This is now getting quite concerning.

Do we have two issues? One relating to sending emails to gmail accounts and one relating to email security.

Every time I reload Thunderbird ,as I update my family computers, I have received messages from Thunderbird advising me that my email security requires attention indicating that there is an issue with Plusnet.

I have been a customer of Plusnet for many years and reluctant to change my email address.

Can PLUSNET please advise me on this issue

many thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @IanmacPN 

We (or at least I) have not heard of any Thunderbird issues, nor any issues which relates to the one you have referenced. 

Do you get any form of error code or security message when yo use the webmail portal itself? 

Thanks, 

MoR

stumped
Hooked

Plusnet's email security is pretty much non-existent (something that annoys me intensely - this should be much better than it is). 

In general, never send personal or sensitive information unencrypted. 

However I cannot say I've had any issues related to TB.  FWIW I run an up to date TB on a fully patched W7 OS.