Excellent, that's what I'm best at 🙂

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

@stumped

If you are using one of the relay servers listed in the linked to topic you do not need to do anything.

The majority of users with a paid for account, using default settings, are unlikely to need to do anything.

Those who have (for a variety of reasons), chosen to use third party outbound email servers will need to change to using those provided by PlusNET as advised in the linked above.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

We're implementing SPF records in the very near future and that should fix this issue. our target date is currently on the 28th February and all mail addresses should have received a communication by this point.

If there's anything anyone needs help with please let me know.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
IanmacPN
Dabbler

Many thanks

Hope the fix goes well

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Not so much a fix to anything actually broken, more a mitigation of Gmail's errant behaviour.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I've just sent two test messages from my Webmail address to my Gmail address. They dropped into my Gmail box almost immediately.

Previously, mail from Webmail to Gmail was taking hours if not days to reach a Gmail account.

Success at last?

Thanks Townman for all your input on this issue.

sirjestalot
Grafter

@cyrilclark1 wrote:

I've just sent two test messages from my Webmail address to my Gmail address. They dropped into my Gmail box almost immediately.

I don't think the "fix" has taken place yet.  Maybe you were just lucky with your two tests.  Sometimes one or two do get through without delay, but others aren't so lucky.   It's annoyingly unpredictable.  Let's hope all will be OK after the 28th (F-day? 🙂

JHA1E
Grafter

I think that this is pure luck. I have just sent 2 messages to my GMail account, one using gmail.com which has not yet been delivered and the second to googlemail.com which was delivered immediately.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Yes, sad to say I have to agree!

I've just sent another two test messages - the googlemail.com was received straight away but I'm still waiting for the gmail.com.

I've sent a few more - it seems the googlemail.com addressed test emails are more likely to be delivered than the gmail.com.

JonoH
Hero

As the fix hasn't rolled yet, there will be no change. We're aiming to roll the fix on the 28th February once we've finished contacting people.

Jono H
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

“it seems the googlemail.com addressed test emails are more likely to be delivered than the gmail.com.

Rather more likely to be accepted for delivery!!! Delivery attempts are the same to both domain names.

Wombat77
Dabbler

Hi Cyrilclarlk1,

I was elated to read your post indicating that maybe this delivery issue had been overcome. Ran a test immediately at 9.54pm yesterday, and sent a test email from my PlusNet account to my gmail account. Now, it's 10 mins short of 24hrs ago and it still hasn't arrived. So, sorry to disappoint,  but your result was a fluke, maybe even a one-off . The issue is on-going.

However it seems that we should all have the 28th of this month heavily circled on our calendars since JonoH advises that this is when Pnet are making changes which hopefully will, as Townman says, quote, "mitigate Gmails errant behaviour"

Counting the hours down now, with high hopes.

sirjestalot
Grafter

I will send a bunch of test emails to a single account using both gmail.com and googlemail.com versions of its address, after the 28th.

Fingers will be crossed 🙂

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Wombat77

The behaviour of the Gmail servers is very erratic.  I have sent a batch of 5+ emails and seen immediate delivery, short delay, longer delay, very long delay … and emails not received in the order they were sent.  Some few hours after the initial batch, I have sent a second batch, seeing the same behaviour some of the second batch being seen before all of the first batch had been received.

This does not look like consistent or structured behaviour from the Gmail server - if it has taken exception over the first half dozen emails from fred@plus.com … why does it later allow more emails from fred@plus.com to be delivered in a timely fashion, whilst still rejecting delivery attempts on the first batch?Huh

...Having thought further whilst typing the above, I guess it could be that the having had so many delivery attempts not accepted, the Plusnet email servers might have instigated protracted back-off delays...?

JonoH
Hero

@Wombat77 wrote:

Hi Cyrilclarlk1,

I was elated to read your post indicating that maybe this delivery issue had been overcome.

If it had been overcome, I'd already have told you all Smiley

Jono H