cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
JHA1E
Grafter

Re: Plusnet to Gmail addresses - what's the problem?

Well said. Have we ever been told why suddenly this problem has occurred? I have been sending to GMail address for years without any problems. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Google changed their compliance with the rules.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Yes - we have been told. It is because of a decision by Google to 'obstruct' mail delivery.

John
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Anyone know whether Plusnet have been singled out for this treatment, or whether there are many others?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The Google support forums cite many references to the issue - there are though no replies from Google support, beyond a suggestion that implementing a host of optional items might help.  However it is evident that without those options, email delivery is working fine to paid for Gmail accounts and from other @mydomain.co.uk email addresses to free accounts.  Indeed delivery to free accounts works fine so long as just a few emails are sent separated by a moderate interval.  Therefore there can be no firm conclusion that the absence of those options is the cause of the issue.

As advised, implementation of the optional standards is not trivial.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JHA1E
Grafter

Whose Rules and what do they say, and who enforces them? If Google has changed compliance then surely it is a simple matter to reverse the change?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The rules are the RFC "rules" however there is no enforcement or compliance body as I understand matters.  All too often the "rules" are "interpreted" with varying degrees of comprehension!!

To get Google to change requires them to engage on the issue and then act.  Go read their forums on the subject - zero engagement.

JHA1E
Grafter

Thank you. Do we know why Google changed the Rules earlier this year?

cotswoldpuffin

And so the story goes on!

I joined this thread about number 179 and here we are at 250+.

I don't want to set up fixes, dabble in the dark arts of computing or to move away from Plusnet (with the issues of changing my e-mail address everywhere it is registered or my business card, etc. etc.).

Did I understand correctly that Plusnet are putting a freeze on changes over the Christmas period? And a Merry Christmas to you too! Perhaps I should put a freeze on my direct debit to Plusnet due to my Christmas pressures but I guess that Plusnet don't put a freeze on chasing non payment over Christmas and probably won't accept that I too have complex issues that "negatively impact" others!

Receiving these updates is beginning to depress me and I think I am going to have to sign out of this forum.

Happy Christmas to all!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JHA1E wrote:

Thank you. Do we know why Google changed the Rules earlier this year?

Given that Google are not engaging the answer is "No".

All that one can guess at (based on the time it is thought to have started), is that Google is inappropriately treating *.plus.com (and other ISP domains) as a bulk mailing services … but the evidence for this is flaky … for the mail service works fine to PAID FOR Gmail accounts.

As advised, in the absence of engagement this is all guess work.  The mitigations for bulk senders are far from simple to implement … and there is no assurance until implemented that they are indeed a "solution".

Given that as users we cannot see the totality of PlusNet's workload, we can have little insight as to where this fits in their overall essential priorities.  Though I have no details, I am aware that the regulatory bodies have caused a massive amount of non-optional change … which I fear has left suppliers running marathons just to stand still … all highly unproductive when there's real issues which need to be addressed.

sirjestalot
Grafter

@Townman wrote:

To get Google to change requires them to engage on the issue and then act.  Go read their forums on the subject - zero engagement.

Surely their forums are not the place to raise the issue, and that some official or formal channel of communication needs to be used to escalate the problem?

JHA1E
Grafter

PN seem to want to give priority to the new billing system which in my opinion is not an improvement. Its (limited) resources should be better spent on the basics, i.e. email

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Sorry, @JHA1E, I think you have your priorities slightly skewed.

John
JHA1E
Grafter

I think not.

axelant
Hooked

I know what you mean jab1 but on the other hand if your service is so poor that it gets bad reviews from existing customers, loses them and as a result fails to attract new customers, a fancy billing system won't be a lot of use.  PN sells it self on how wonderful their customer service is, but even the nicest customer service staff can't keep customers happy if the product doesn't do what people need.  You can't ignore the customers and just focus on internal systems, people won't accept that any more.