Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
sirjestalot
Grafter

Re: Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

Hi barcud,

Those were my thoughts (about greylisting).  A recent message of mine to the same gmail address was delayed for 4 days. Greylisting should only result in very brief delays, not days.  However, greylisting techniques probably vary, so the info in that article - which is now a few years old - isn't necessarily reflecting what's happening between Plusnet and Gmail.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

I just want to reassure everyone that we haven't forgotten this issue, we know it's annoying when your emails are delayed.

As I'm sure you've realised we have number of issues at the moment that we've prioritised repair of, once things calm down a little I'll update you all here.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Wombat77
Dabbler

Hi Jono,

I've written on this before as I am one of those affected by slow delivery of plus net mail to Gmail accounts.

Just adding a bit more information in case it helps or adds to understanding the issue of why Google is not playing fair with Plus net customers. Here are the details:

On the 8th September I sent a Plus net email on my tablet (Android) to my Gmail account at 10.24pm.

This message was delivered to my Gmail account on the 10th September at 18.57, that is a delivery time of 44 hours and 33minutes.

On the 9th September I was looking at the forum discussions on this issue and saw one of the Plus net recommended "fixes".

So as you suggested, I put my own plus net email address into my contacts list and repeated the test. The email came through almost instantly.

However, both emails carried a warning from Google, quote, "Gmail couldn't verify that plus.com actually sent this message and not a spammer"

Today (11th Sept) I repeated this test sending a webmail message to my Gmail account and this was delivered in 40 minutes BUT, for the first time it did not carry the warning from Google.

Hope this helps to add to the knowledge base on this problem. It really seems the delivery times to Gmail are entirely unpredictable and it puzzles me where my email was parked for 44+ hours!

ps At the same time as the above tests, I sent plus net mail (from my tablet) to my Hotmail account and these messages are delivered promptly.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Your mail was ‘parked’ on PlusNET’s email servers, whilst gmail refused to accept delivery for 44 hours. If the addressee has been a paid for gmail address there would have been no delay. The application of the claimed reasons for delay is not consistent.

Really helpful post.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

barcud
Grafter

I thought that I'd perform a little test regarding the presence or absence of the Plusnet sender's email address in the Gmail recipient's address book, so:

I sent a short email (no attachments) from my PLusnet Account to my Gmail account. Sent - 13:49, delivered 19:23 same day.

I added my plusnet address to my gmail address book and:  Sent 22:08, delivered 22:11.

So, just a coincidence then. Or maybe not. I tried again today and sent 17:52 received 18:53.

Oh well, just hope that Plusnet can do something convincing (for Gmail).

@Wombat77 wrote:

Hi Jono,

I've written on this before as I am one of those affected by slow delivery of plus net mail to Gmail accounts.

Just adding a bit more information in case it helps or adds to understanding the issue of why Google is not playing fair with Plus net customers. Here are the details:

On the 8th September I sent a Plus net email on my tablet (Android) to my Gmail account at 10.24pm.

This message was delivered to my Gmail account on the 10th September at 18.57, that is a delivery time of 44 hours and 33minutes.

On the 9th September I was looking at the forum discussions on this issue and saw one of the Plus net recommended "fixes".

So as you suggested, I put my own plus net email address into my contacts list and repeated the test. The email came through almost instantly.

However, both emails carried a warning from Google, quote, "Gmail couldn't verify that plus.com actually sent this message and not a spammer"

Today (11th Sept) I repeated this test sending a webmail message to my Gmail account and this was delivered in 40 minutes BUT, for the first time it did not carry the warning from Google.

Hope this helps to add to the knowledge base on this problem. It really seems the delivery times to Gmail are entirely unpredictable and it puzzles me where my email was parked for 44+ hours!

ps At the same time as the above tests, I sent plus net mail (from my tablet) to my Hotmail account and these messages are delivered promptly.

John

jjlothin
Grafter

Plusnet to Gmail addresses - what's the problem?

A friend has recently been complaining that my (Plusnet) emails sent to his Gmail address can take a matter of hours if not days to arrive.

I've now experimented by attempting to send emails (from Plusnet) to a Gmail address of my own: one took 11 hours, another 14 hours to arrive.

Anyone any ideas what's going on here?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Plusnet to Gmail addresses - what's the problem?

Hi @jjlothin

I've merged your topic into the main thread on this issue here.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jjlothin wrote:

Anyone any ideas what's going on here?

Yes - Gmail is messing around with email reception.

Try sending the same email to 3 addressees:

1. a free Gmail account
  2. a paid for email account
  3. some other addressee

You will find that the paid for Gmail account and the other addressee receive the email very promptly, however due to something which Gmail refuse to explain, the delivery to the free account can be delayed as you have reported.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Eavestile
Dabbler

I have been having problems for at least a week,  Email on Sunday at 17.40 took more than 24 hours to reach my wife's gmail account - the copy to me at plusnet was instant.  Gave up on the 50 minute telephone wait time to find out what was going on.  Sent a livechat - the livechat immediately closed down.  I got through on the phone after 20 minutes this evening (I had been told wait time was going to be 20 minutes so credit where credit's due).  Told the problem is the new billing system.  I asked where Plusnet had told customers - apparently nowhere.  The site says there have been problems with emails for 223 days - next update 1 March (which year not specified).  I have suffered late or non delivery to other email users (including my own plusnet email account) as well as gmail.

I am reduced to copying any email to my own gmail account to have any idea as to whether or not it may have been delivered.

What a shambles.

fxbronte
Grafter

Eavestile

I am solving the problem by moving from plusnet email. I have been waiting since I first reported the fault ( June 2018 ). The PN apologists in here say that Gmail has changed/applied the rules wrongly. Obviously no consolation to me, and I am afraid that Gmail is not going to changed their procedures/validation to accommodate PN outdated application.

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Sent an email from my plusnet address to my Gmail sunday evening, with hotel details. Still not arrived in my Gmail inbox and it's now Tues evening.
barcud
Grafter

I feel that the time is coming very soon that Plusnet must step up to the plate and take positive action to resolve this.

Some members of the community have been seriosly affected. I know it has caused agruments in my house!

So, we are rapidly approaching the  October deadline set by Plusnet themselves, and I dearly hope they will have come up with an effective and workable answer.

So, will you (Plusnet) give us a complete and informative report of what you have done and how so we may better understand. I have discussed this problem with friends who's day job is network support and have myself used MStoolbox to explore what amy be happening. Some of the results were worrying to say the least.

OK,

/end rant

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Here's exactly why we're careful about what information we share. 

JonoH Said:

I never like to give timescales for these things because a lot depends on testing but I wouldn't expect this until at least October.

has some how turned into 

@barcud wrote:

So, we are rapidly approaching the  October deadline set by Plusnet themselves,

It's difficult for me to advocate more transparency when the information we do provide is misused in this way.

So, will you (Plusnet) give us a complete and informative report of what you have done and how so we may better understand. 

We don't provide these reports for any other kind of issue and we're not likely to do one for this I'm afraid.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@fxbronte wrote:

Eavestile

The PN apologists in here say that Gmail has changed/applied the rules wrongly. ... I am afraid that Gmail is not going to changed their procedures/validation to accommodate PN outdated application.

In what way is the examination of the facts being "apologists"?  If you believe that Gmail has not got something wrong please explain to all of us why …

1. An email sent from a mailbox@accountname.plus.com to a PAID FOR Gmail account arrives instantly, but if sent to a FREE Gmail account … Gmail messes with the delivery such that it does not arrive until hours later?
  2. An email sent by a Plusnet user using their hosted domain to either a paid for or free Gmail account is delivered instantly

Sure Plusnet's email service might not have all of the mail service lock downs it could have, but that does not make it antiquated, nor does it explain the "now it works, now it fails" behaviour of Gmail.  SPF in not mandatory and on the face of the evidence, is not affirmed to be a contributory factor.  If it were, then all emails sent by the Plusnet servers to any Gmail account would be similarly impacted.  This is not what the evidence indicates.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH,

Post #114

Told the problem is the new billing system.

Really?  I hope not? Wink