Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

@rd1956 wrote:

Sending from Thunderbird is from mailbox@username.plus.com (delayed), I noticed the email showing in the corner of the Webmail page was username+mailbox@imap.plus.net (instant).

Thanks. That's an interesting result from webmail; whilst as an email address its format is valid I doubt that a message sent to it (eg by replying from Gmail) would be successful.

For that account in webmail the default identity needs to be changed to mailbox@username.plus.com. Then logout and login again to see the changed information on the webmail inbox page.

David
rd1956
Grafter
Fixes: 1

A weird format indeed.  Noticing other mail accounts with the same format so I should probably change them over too.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

For information.

The problem here seems to be gmail Mail Transfer Agents (servers) are deliberately delaying messages sent from mailbox@username.plus.com addresses. I've raised a discussion topic with Plusnet staff behind the scenes which hopefully will find a solution.

Is anyone aware of gmail actually dropping messages completely rather than just delaying them?

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

An additional question - since 27/06/2018, has anyone sent a message to a gmail address using relay.plus.net from mailbox@username.plus.com that *did not* get delayed?

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Yes, but that was the primary mailbox - see SU discussions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fxbronte
Grafter

Still waiting from PN support . Two days ago I sent them the Gmail header details, but no response yet.

I have the same problem when sending from an Android tablet and phone. I am using myemail@username.plus.com. The only strange thing I have noticed is that Gmail does not recognise the sender (myself) although I am in the contacts.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi  fxbronte,

I'm not aware of any issues. I didn't see the ticket number in the thread though, can you provide that please so I can give the right team a quick poke.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
fxbronte
Grafter

Hi Plusnettony,

The ticket no is 177644411.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Thanks for getting back to us @fxbronte. I have ensured it is with the correct team who will be in touch with an update on that ticket as soon as they have investigated the issue further. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I'd given up on this, thought it had been dumped but a test email sent using webmail to a gmail address turned up this afternoon. The delay was 1 day, 16 hours, 32 minutes and 41 seconds.

This was from a mailbox@username.plus.com address.

David
fxbronte
Grafter

The delays are getting longer, now the delays are over 48 hrs. It is totally unusable.

I have stopped using my plusnet mail, but it is going to be a pain to tell all my contacts about a new address with gmail.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You really ought to take this issue up with gmail. Seems that they might be playing a bit fast and loose with SPF rules / processes.

Emails routed out of Plusnet using different email domain names can only have the cause within the receiving domain.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fxbronte
Grafter

this took 76 hrs. Gmail header says

"Original message
Message ID <FCFB63AB78F346D3A312811C606B52F0@fxHP>
Created on: 27 June 2018 at 12:35 (Delivered after 275582 seconds)
From: ****** <**@*****.plus.com> Using Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3555.308
To: FX gmail <********@gmail.com>
Subject: test 5 from wl at 12.35
SPF: NEUTRAL with IP 212.159.14.20 Learn more"

The IP shown is not my IP

fxbronte
Grafter

Hi townman,

It only happens when I use the PN mail address ie. me@mydomain.plus.com. Stuff coming from Yahoo has not got this delay problem. It seems to me that it must be something to do with the characteristics of the PN domain not being recognised by Gmail as valid

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Gmail ought to recognise *.plus.com as valid - full stop.

Username.plus.com all have valid DNS lookups and MX records. So Gmail ought not to have a problem - it matters not if you use your domain name or the inferred PlusNET domain name, you use the same SMTP servers.

@Kelly - is there any evidence of delivery delays to gmail where the sending email address is the native Plusnet domain name? If this were a generic issue as described I would have expected there to be legions of complaints.