Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

FIXED
fxbronte
Grafter

Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

In the last 24 hours Emails from me to gmail recipients are taking from 20 minutes to 10 hours. I have a ticket open but PN say that it will take a few days to investigate. Any ideas? Am I the only one?.

482 REPLIES 482
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus

In the first instance you need to get sight of the email headers from the Gmail received email.  They will show the delivery path (and timings) for its transmission.  Examination of the headers will help to identify where the delay is coming from.

Do you see similar delays when sending emails to non-gmail accounts?  If not then the issue might well be at the gmail end of things.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @fxbronte,

Sorry to hear this is happening. I have checked this using my own Plusnet and gmail account, which seems to be working fine for me. Can you advise of the following;

- Is this happening through multiple devices?

- When sending the email through Plusnet is it through our webmail or an email client? If a client can you try our webmail service.

- Is it only happening to one or more Gmail address?

- Is it limited to one recipient.

Please get back to us with this information so we can look at how best to assist you. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Wombat77
Dabbler

Hi. saw your post and as I have a Gmail account, ran a test. Sent a test message from my PC [Windows 7] to my Gmail account at 21.22

Nothing through yet 21.37 so yes, looks like you are not the only one having a problem.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Sending a message from Thunderbird on my W10 PC via relay.force9.net to a gmail account at 21:45 took just 2 seconds. So no delay there.

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

However a similar message sent an hour ago from a Plusnet account using relay.plus.net has yet to be delivered.

Testing using webmail echoed this behaviour. Just 2 seconds to deliver a Force9 account message but one from the Plusnet account 40 minutes ago has yet to arrive.

A message sent using relay.plus.net to an external, non-gmail, address arrived in 5 seconds.

So it looks like Gmail is not happy with messages sent via relay.plus.net. Sad

David
fxbronte
Grafter

I am using ( for years) Windows Live Mail. I have tried the PN Webmail (Basic) and it was slightly better 14 minutes, a second one at 13:57 I am still waiting for it.

I have only tried two recipients, myself and my wife, after another recipient reorted the matter to me.

There is no problem receiving emails. 

fxbronte
Grafter

I do not know how to look at the gmail mail headers.

I can foward you the emails received by gmail.

Thanks for your interest

fxbronte
Grafter

Thank you Spraxyt, but what else can I use but relay.plus.net? As I said before this started only 24 hours or so ago. I have been using Widows Live, relay.plus.net and gmail for years.

Any ideas about a resolution to this problem?

spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think differentiating between behaviour with relay.force9.net and relay.plus.net was a red herring. Those are the servers we connect to, but the Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) which communicate with the recipient (Google) MTAs are the same.

When I had no problem I was using a personal domain email address. When delays occurred I was using a Plusnet username.plus.com address.. In fact the first of these (from Thunderbird) arrived after 2 hours, 27 min and 51 seconds. The headers from gmail show:

Received: from avasout05.plus.net (avasout05.plus.net. [84.93.230.250])
  by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id j12-v6si4374809pgq.312.2018.06.27.16.36.12
  for <mygmailaddy@gmail.com>
  (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
  Wed, 27 Jun 2018 16:36:13 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 84.93.230.250 is neither permitted
nor denied by best guess record for domain of sender@username.plus.com)
client-ip=84.93.230.250; Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 84.93.230.250 is neither permitted
nor denied by best guess record for domain of sender@username.plus.com)
smtp.mailfrom=sender@username.plus.com Received: from [My PC] ([My IP]) by smtp with ESMTP
id YHfpfVE1i05ijYHfqf3bQI; Wed, 27 Jun 2018 22:08:22 +0100

To display Gmail headers, click a message to display it then on the right-hand side click the down arrow to open the "more" menu and select Show original. See image below.GMheaders.png

David
Wombat77
Dabbler

A follow-on from the test I ran last night the results were:

An  PN email from Outlook to my Gmail account took 39 minutes to arrive

An email from my PN webmail to my Gmail account took 8 minutes

It seems there are mixed results from other posts. Hopefully a superuser can help.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Just ran a test - own PN email box using own domain name to a gmail account - instant delivery.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rd1956
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Noticed a similar issue this evening.

Sending from Webmail was instant delivery but with Thunderbird (relay.plus.net), i'm kinda still waiting on that one.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@rd1956

When you sent messages using Webmail and Thunderbird were the sender (from) addresses identical? Was this address (these addresses if different) of the form mailbox@username.plus.com or personal domain (mailbox@mydomain.co.uk) style?

I think Gmail is delaying (grey listing?) or even dumping messages where the sender is username style but not delaying domain-based ones sent using the same server.

David
rd1956
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Sending from Thunderbird is from mailbox@username.plus.com (delayed), I noticed the email showing in the corner of the Webmail page was username+mailbox@imap.plus.net (instant).

I found a old un-used Webmail email which showed my email in the format of mailbox@username.plus.com and that was also delayed.