cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish/freenetname old email setting up on a new iPhone help please

RJD

Madasafish/freenetname old email setting up on a new iPhone help please

Hello I'd be grateful for some help.  I am trying to set my mum up on an iPhone with her freenetname emails, which I think came over from madasafish.  I'm a bit vague as my dad handled all email and internet matters in their household but he passed away unexpectedly.  We are now trying to make sense of it all.  Mum can access her emails on her laptop, but using the same settings on the iPhone doesn't work.  The laptop is on its last legs so we need to get her access through the iPhone before the laptop gives up. 

I don't understand what the email address and username should be.  The username appears to be my dad's name, and the account is in an email address (his username)@freenetname.co.uk  But his and her email addresses had a different domain, which was a personalised one.  Mum's email address is not @freenetname but the personalised email domain.  I seem to be able to find numerous different incoming and outgoing servers for madasafish/freenetname/plusnet but I don't know which to use, and I don't know what username or email address to use (his or hers and which one of his or hers).  The only thing that I do know (hurrah) is the password. 

Can anyone please help?

4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Madasafish/freenetname old email setting up on a new iPhone help please

Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear of loss of your dad.

The settings which work on your mum's laptop should also work on an iPhone. These include email addresses, user names and server settings so no guessing is involved. Is the laptop set to use IMAP as the incoming mail protocol?

The iPhone will try to set up secure connections to the incoming and outgoing servers. It can take 2-3 minutes for each "test" to fail with a message asking if you'd like to continue with an insecure connection. You need to tap continue for each of these.

After initial set up some small changes are needed for IMAP to ensure server rather than local folder storage is used, but that is down the road.

What happens when you currently perceive "the same settings on the iPhone don't work"?

David
RJD

Hello - thanks for reply and your kind words.

I persevered after your message and have finally got it to work (thank you) but with my dad's email password, not my mum's (strange...but it works at least).  The message I kept getting before that was that the username or password were incorrect.

Both laptop (and therefore iPhone) are using POP3 servers:

incoming: mail.freenetname.co.uk

outgoing: smtp.freenetname.co.uk

Any idea whether there are IMAP that would work? 

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Glad to hear you got it to work. Smiley

I suspect the solution could mean your mum's password is the same as your dad's, and not what it was thought to be. But that's a detail.

The freenetname help pages mention only POP3 (incoming) and SMTP (outgoing) server names. Doing a DNS lookup with "imap" replacing "mail" doesn't find anything. However if I use telnet to connect to mail.freenetname.co.uk on port 143 (the IMAP port) it connects. This suggests using mail.freenetname.co.uk but selecting IMAP4 instead of POP3 might work. The port should change to 143 automatically when IMAP4 is selected.

Do you feel up to giving this a try on the iPhone? You would have to delete the POP3 account first, I don't think trying to change the protocol of an existing account will work.

SMTP settings are the same as when you used POP3.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Just to be clear having two devices both using POP3 is generally not a good idea.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.