Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish emails to gmail bounce

FIXED
rwm32
Hooked

Madasafish emails to gmail bounce

Since around the end of March we have found that messages sent from our <name>@<name>.madasafish.com email accounts to @gmail.com addresses generally bounce, with the response below (edited for anonymity). Is there something in the madasafish email server that needs updating? Sending to @gmail.com addresses always worked normally until recently.

I can PM the full message source to a sysadmin, if that helps.

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Rom M

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* *********@gmail.com

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** ********@gmail.com ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout-ptp-002 [84.93.229.122]
Received-From-MTA: dns; **** [nnn.nn.nn.nn]
Arrival-Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 17:07:42 +0100

Final-recipient: rfc822; ********@gmail.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This mail is unauthenticated, which poses a security risk to the

Last-attempt-Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 17:07:42 +0100

17 REPLIES 17
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Madasafish emails to gmail bounce

@rwm32 

There are several more qualified to answer this question ( @Townman ?)  but my understanding can be summarised thus:

1. There is an internationally recognised agreement that emails do not need to be authenticated by the addition of SPF and/or DKIM.

2. The default Plusnet SMTP servers used to send emails add neither.

3. Gmail have decided to ignore the convention and now insist on one or the other.

4. I understand (but could be wrong) that a record can be added only if you have  Plusnet hosted domain.

I have no idea if Plusnet will make the necessary changes but bearing in mind that they no longer provide an email service to new customers…..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Fix

@rwm32 

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This mail is unauthenticated

Hi Rom,

You do not explicitly state, but are you sending this from a PC email application rather than using Webmail?  If my guess is correct, does the SMTP server settings need modifying to "Requires authentication - use the same as the incoming server"?

@Baldrick1

Those indeed could be complicating factors, but my hunch here is that "unauthenticated" is indicative that the connection to the SMTP server from a device on the network is operating (configured) as per the unhelpful advice in the Plusnet email configuration guide - "Authentication ONLY required if connecting off-network".

@account.plus.com email addresses do get DKIM, but I do not know if that applies to MAAF email addresses too.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rwm32
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

Thank you for that, which is very helpful to understand (if not encouraging...)

@Townman 

Thank you: yes, quite right. We're using PC clients. I'll adjust the settings as you suggest and see what happens.

V grateful for the prompt responses.

Rom

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I have just seen another thread suggesting that something (else?) is being investigated WRT sending to Gmail. for Plusnet accounts.  Can you please be sure to report back if (a) the above fixes this for you or (b) the characteristic of the problem changes after ensuring that authentication is enabled.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rwm32
Hooked

Yes, I'll report back. Thanks again.

JDAL

Hi,

I have also started getting the same gmail bounce issues.

An earlier thread, link below, gave a fix...but this doesn't seem to work.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Replies-to-Gmail-accounts-being-rejected/m-p/1914861#M42628

Please could you explain (for someone with really basic knowledge!) where and how to alter the SMTP as suggested in this thread @Townman ?

Or if there is any update on what the problem is? 

thanks

PS: I'm an original Force9 user...

rwm32
Hooked

@Townman 

Reporting back on the 'authentication' fix: it seems to have done the trick - thank you.

We have had one email (of many) to an @gmail.com bounced with a 'remote server ?? responded with <name>@gmail.com ??:??' - which is a) a different issue, I guess; and b) not so much of a problem, since the email was successfully delivered when we re-sent it.

Rom

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JDAL wrote:

Please could you explain (for someone with really basic knowledge!) where and how to alter the SMTP as suggested in this thread @Townman ?

Or if there is any update on what the problem is? 

thanks

PS: I'm an original Force9 user...

You need to change the OUTGOING server settings in your email client - which email client are you using?

@rwm32 Delighted that advice fixed the issue for you.

JDAL

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I'm using 'mail' with iOS and macOS...this is what I've had as my settings forever!

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 14.01.51.png

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 14.01.23.png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Those environments normally enforce authentication...

iPhone...

1. Settings
  2. Mail
  3. Accounts
  4. Select relevant account
  5. Select Account
  6. Select SMTP
  7. Select PRIMARY SERVER
    1. Server should be enabled
    2. Host Name - relay.plus.net
    3. Username - accountname or accountname+mailboxname
    4. Password - that applicable to the above
    5. Use SSL - enabled
    6. Authentication - password
    7. Port - 587
  8. Click DONE - account should be verified successfully
  9. Click back to account
  10. Click DONE

macOS should be similar.

Tags (2)
JDAL

Thanks,

See screenshots in thread above, have double checked all...I think that looks right.

Only bounces from gmail...still doing it...

sunlive

I have the same issue - any email from my @madasafish.com account to gmail get bounced back with an error.

this has started in the last few weeks.

I am using my email through Outlook with my own domain - hosted by Plusnet.

Plusnet say it is a problem with outlook and they can't help.  How would I get admin access to the domain to make the changes required?

I would need a very basic instructions as I am a complete novice!  Thanks

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached

'****@gmail.com: on 08/06/2023 17:44

552 7Ijfqt7XzElLw7IjgqsXzy message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

Porthrepta
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@sunlive "I am using my email through Outlook with my own domain - hosted by Plusnet."

I have the same but with   @[my account].plus.net email.

After a lot of searching the posts, this answer here seems to have fixed the issue for me.
No idea if it's the same for Madasafish though.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Replies-to-Gmail-accounts-being-rejected/m-p/1914861#M42628

sunlive

@Porthrepta   Thanks - I've had a look at that  l but when I click the link  to the members I get the main log in page for Plusnet.

How do I get to the member centre to configure and add an MX record?  Thanks in advance for any assistance.