cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish emails delayed from inbox, please restore.

FIXED
Silverwolf
Hooked

Madasafish emails delayed from inbox, please restore.

Earlier tonight the last 7 months emails seem to have disappeared from my inbox. Approx 200 emails. Strangely the equivalent sent items are still showing on my iPad but not when I look in webmail. Can you restore these urgently please?

17 REPLIES 17
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Madasafish emails delayed from inbox, please restore.

Hi @Silverwolf 

A warm welcome to the forums.

@Silverwolf wrote:

Earlier tonight the last 7 months emails seem to have disappeared from my inbox. Approx 200 emails. Strangely the equivalent sent items are still showing on my iPad but not when I look in webmail.

For clarity, can you please confirm the following...

1. Are the emails in the INBOX on the iPad?
  2. Is the iPad configured as IMAP or POP3?
  3. If IMAP did you map the sent items to the IMAP folder on the server in the iPad account settings?

Email archiving

Plusnet has two email content archiving 'events'

1. Exceeding the Fair Usage Policy (FUP): This is invoked when the sum of the contents of all of your email boxes exceeds the 1GB FUP allowance. Users will have received warning notices for several weeks, having exceeded 75% of the FUP. After 2 warnings of having exceeded 100% of the FUP, mailboxes are archived to bring the FUP utilisation down below 100%. The act of archiving emails is recorded in the user's ticket history - see the PN tickets link below - notification emails are sent to the contact email address, as specified by the user, under their contact preferences in the account details - it is imperative that this email address is monitored
  2. Mailbox not accessed for a while: After a period of not accessing a mailbox (it not being logged into) the contents are archived. An email is sent to that mailbox advising of the archiving action, after it has been archived. No record of the action is recorded in the ticket history

Archives are retained for 30 days. When making a request to unarchive emails, it is very helpful to inform staff which of the above archives appears to have been performed - it stops them looking for non-existent tickets! Try to raise a ticket here.  If that does not work, please post back here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Silverwolf
Hooked

Townman,

thankyou so much for your assistance.

in answer to your questions:

1. The lost emails are NOT showing in my inbox On the iPad and are not showing in the webmail mailbox. However the corresponding sent emails that may relate to the received ones ARE showing on my iPad but not showing up on the webmail sent mailbox.

2. According to my iPad it is configured as an IMAP. Please note that I have no concept of what this means. Please assume you are corresponding to an illiterate fool when it comes to technology.

3. As mentioned above I am not very savvy regarding this technology so do not knowingly map anything.

regarding email archiving, I have only once ever received a warning about mailbox full but not recently (last few years). I do notice sometimes that the account stops sending emails unless I delete some?Huh

i am always using this account so It is unlikely that lack of use would be an issue.

does this help?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In the iPhone account settings, IMAP, Advanced, there are options to specify where to put the following...

• Sent items
  • Draft items
  • Deleted items

... on the phone (local) or on the server - unless changed, they default to local.

20200921_135649671_iOS.png

Did you use the link to request a restore?

"I do notice sometimes that the account stops sending emails unless I delete some"

IIRC the mailbox size on MAAF accounts is not overly large - 250MB (I think) and does indeed stop accepting emails when full.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Silverwolf
Hooked

Town man,

yep, it is set up as per your screenshot below.

i will now request a restore for the inbox between two dates.

fingers crossed and many thanks

Silverwolf
Hooked

sorry to be a recurring pain but the ticket link you highlighted just takes me to a page that states an unexpected error occurred?

regards

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oh yes - dam!!

Dealing with your request has highlighted the possibility that my generic help for mailbox restores might not be fully suitable for MAAF users.  I have sought clarification on that from staff.

1. That link presumes (!!) the user to be a Plusnet ISP user

2. It looks as though the forum has corrupted the link - it should be https://www.plus.net/wizard/index.html

3. You need to be already logged in to the Plusnet user portal for it to work

4. It might be totally unsuitable for a MAAF user not using Plusnet as their ISP

I will go change my help text!!

@Gandalf - can you assist here please?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Email archiving

Plusnet account holders can try to raise a ticket here.  If that does not work, please post back here.

Link text fixed - thank you for pointing out the error!

Silverwolf
Hooked

Ahhh...and if I don’t have a plus net account? (I have BT and Sky).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to our community forums @Silverwolf (and thanks for the message via Twitter)

I've checked this with a colleague from our NetOps team and we don't archive mail for Madasafish email addresses. Do you have any other devices that may have downloaded your emails locally to that device?

Also I've raised a task to NetOps (ref: INFOPS-36342) to see if we can restore those emails from a snapshot. A snapshot is a bit like a temporary backup that's refreshed I believe on a weekly basis.

I've created a support ticket 206354953 on your account so I can track this. If you log into your Madasafish account online and go to this webpage Here you should be able to view and respond to the ticket.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Silverwolf
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

I have all the missing emails on my iPhone that was not connected to the internet when the messages went missing. I have disconnected it from data roaming for the moment as I am concerned that if I reconnect it and it syncs to the webmail master, it will promptly lose all this information. Am I correct? What could I do to use this information to merge the inboxes?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the post back @Silverwolf 

On your iPhone if you go to Settings > Passwords and Accounts > your Madasafish email, is that setup as POP3 or IMAP?

If it’s IMAP then it’s very likely if your iPhone syncs to the server then what’s on webmail will replace what’s on your iPhone, so in this case those messages would likely be removed. 

If it’s setup as POP3 then I suspect the iPhone’s the culprit and downloaded the messages locally removing them from the server. 

P.S. I’m not in the office at the moment. As soon as I hear back from our NetOps team I’ll let you know. This should hopefully be tomorrow but may be Thursday or Friday depending on how busy those guys are. 

[edit]

I’m not sure there’s an easy way to move your emails from the iPhone to the server without forwarding them to yourself individually. In doing so you’d risk sync’ing with webmail. 

Let’s see if we can restore them first...

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If the phone is set up as pop3 the emails can be moved back to the server but it’s a bit of a fiddle!

1. Stop the iPhone contacting the pop3 server by changing the password

2. Change the email address in the iPhone account setting so that the next step can be performed (iPhones do not allow multiple accounts with the same email address)

3. Set the email address read up again as an IMAP account - testcand prove it works

4. Go to the old POP3 account on the iPhone and select inbox - edit - select all - move ... to the inbox of the new IMAP account

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Morning @Silverwolf

We've restored your emails from a snapshot now.

Could you check webmail and see if the missing emails are there?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Silverwolf
Hooked

Gandalf/Anoush,

all reappeared on my iPad just now.

Fabulous. I cannot thank you enough for all your efforts to resolve my issues. I noticed you even responded to me when you were not at the office. Respect!

I do hope that plusnet appreciate your endeavour and talent.

Gratefully yours

Mike