cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish email: can't access webmail but app on phone receives ok.

FIXED
Kate11

Madasafish email: can't access webmail but app on phone receives ok.

Hi, hoping for some advice please.

I still use my mail only madasafish account for the odd email. I am getting mail through on my phone but every now and again I log in to webmail to clear the trash folder or else the email gets blocked. A while ago my password stopped working and I had to be issued a new one before I could login. But this time as the phone app still works I'm a bit confused. I have tried to reset the password but no email to reset comes through. But I can send mail to madasafish using a different email account. Weird!

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Madasafish email: can't access webmail but app on phone receives ok.

Hello Kate,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Do you have more than one email address on your MAAF account?

We saw a similar case here earlier this week - Plusnet acted on a request to change the user's MAAF account password ... but the user could still log into email using the same (old) password.  Turned out that the user had forgotten that they were using a secondary email address, the password for which is managed separately via the user portal and cannot be changed by Plusnet.

Any password which Plusnet changes will be for the account and default mailbox ... which is where the password reset will go to!

This generic guidance might help - 

Reset email password

If you are not able to login to the email address using webmail, then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has had its password changed. Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the Plusnet account password is left unchanged.

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address. If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the relevant user portal. If your email service is NOT a retained legacy service (one associated with a retired internet service account), then the password required by the router to connect to the internet will be changed too. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password yourself and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kate11

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply.

No, I only had the one email address. It was a long time ago that I opened account, originally broadband, but I'm pretty sure that I only had the one, and that this was the main one. I haven't forgotten the password, it no longer works for webmail. Really stuck for what to do. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Acid test - can you login to the MAAF user portal on the link provided above?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kate11

No! Says invalid username or password.

Does this mean I do have another account I have no memory of? I'm losing it!!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you cannot access the user portal and cannot access the associated email account, then you'll need to do a password reset via the support desk.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Give it another go now @Kate11, I've just refreshed the components on the account from my side. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Kate11

Thanks for your help Adam,

I still can't log in and the phone won't connect now either (password/username incorrect error). I'm wondering if the password has reset? I was given a new password from a ticket raised ages ago and couldn't change it and as intended to stop using the account I didn't chase it up. I tried what I think was my old password but no luck either. Am I best to call up?

Thanks again,

Kate 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yes - because the password reset by a support agent needs to be done verbally.