cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish changed password now unable to access email

RoL
Dabbler

Madasafish changed password now unable to access email

I changed the password on my Madasafish account and now cannot access my emails using my email client via IMAP. However, I can access my emails using Webmail and also my Madasafish account using the changed password.

What am I missing besides so far an answer?

19 REPLIES 19
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Madasafish changed password now unable to access email

Hi @RoL,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been unable to access your email via your mail client since changing your password. If you've not done so already, please can you try removing the account from your mail client and then re-adding it from scratch. You can find help with the set up here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi RoL,

A warm welcome to the forums. Just to be clear, you ...

- have changed your ACCOUNT password
- can access your ACCOUNT with the new password through the portal
- can access your DEFAULT mail box via web mail using the new password
- cannot access the SAME mailbox using your email client with the new password

Which email client are you using?
Exactly what error message is being reported?
What actions are you taking?

Note that (assuming MaaF behaves similar to PN services) changing the ACCOUNT password does NOT change the password for SECONDARY mailboxes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RoL
Dabbler

1) changed my madasafish account password

2) changed my email client password - Claws Mail

3) attempting to collect my mail - only the one mail account on madasafish.com

4) login refused due to bad password message ** IMAP error on mail.madasafish.com: LOGIN error

5) logged into my email via Webmail successfully using my new changed madasafish password

6) can also access my madasafish account using my new password

On other devices I have Thunderbird and K-Nine mail clients. None work using my new password  😞

regards

Richard

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In which case I’d check if those email clients have quietly sought to use SSL. SSL should be off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RoL
Dabbler

No security set as far as I can see. I've tried changing passwords plus recreating the account from scratch but no joy. Yet in the first instance after changing my Madasafish account password and then changing only the password in the client, none of its other settings. Yet I was blocked me from logging in.

regards

Richard

RoL
Dabbler

Subsequent to changing my password I did try recreating my account but to no avail.  😞

regards

Richard

Tags (2)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Back to my original questions...

1. You can definitely log in to these mailboxes using webmail?
  2. EXACTLY what error message do you get?
  3. Are you using any tools which might interfere with the storage of the new password - see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1160443

Alternatively does this help any - https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=19006

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @RoL

Just to chip in on this one - in addition to the questions that @Townman has asked, if you download a different, free email client (for testing purposes) and set the Madasafish account up from scratch, does it work?

Thanks

Dave

RoL
Dabbler

I use three different mail clients; Claws Mail, Thunderbird Mail and K-Nine depending on my device. Have deleted and recreated my Madasafish account in both Claws and K-Nine mail clients and whilst no joy yet with K-Nine, I have got Claws working. By changing the authentication method from Automatic which works with both my IC24 and Plus Net mail accounts, to Login Claws is now working.

Why a password change stopped the clients working with my Madasafish mailbox is mystery. If it was just the one client but all three were knocked out. Whatever, one back and two to go.

regards

Richard

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @RoL,

I'm glad to hear that you have resolved the issue in Claws, this shows that it must be the configuration of both Thunderbird & K-Nine.

If you could attach screenshots to this thread of your settings in both clients it will be easier to determine exactly what the issue is. When you attach the screenshots, please ensure you remove any sensitive information.

For visibility on this thread, I have included all the correct settings below.

Incoming IMAP & POP server: mail.madasafish.com

Port: 143 / 110

Outgoing SMTP server: mail.madasafish.com

Port: 25 or 587

Username: Full email address

Password: Account password or additional mailbox password

SSL: Off for both incoming & outgoing mail server

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
RoL
Dabbler

Am using mail.madasafish.com for both sending and receiving servers, along with default ports 143 and 25.

Currently trying to get Thunderbird working but neither it nor K-Nine has the login options that are available in Claws Mail.

Have also tried Telnet to access mail.madasafish.com but the same problem "01 No Login failed.

Connection closed by remote host".  😞

regards

Richard

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks RoL

Could you post which settings are available in TBird and K-Nine and we'll take a look as per @Jubby's post?

Cheers

Dave

RoL
Dabbler

Tried the Geary email client but with so far no joy. What Claws Mail allows is more control over IMAP authentication. Whilst Automatic which resolves to planitext works with IC24 and Plusnet mail it does not work with Madasafish. Setting it to LOGIN as per screenshot then it works. What the other emails clients do not provide is the 8 authentication methods provided by Claws Mail.

regards

confused Richard

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Richard

Thanks for the update.

Could you post what you DO have access to so that we (and the community) can try to identify a solution for you?

Best wishes

Dave