Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish/Freenetname MX record after moving domain away from PN

FIXED
vof
Grafter

Madasafish/Freenetname MX record after moving domain away from PN

Good evening everyone

I provide part-time IT support to a local charity (OWD) but have not been responsible for their .org.uk domain and its configuration. They have historically used a Madasafish/Freenetname account to provide an email mailbox. Another part of the organisation has moved the domain - registrar and nameservers - to Easyspace without considering the implications carefully enough. As a result, OWD's domain now has no MX record and is not receiving any email. I don't know which (PN/Madasafish) host name was specified in the original MX record.

First a question: even with an appropriate MX record, will the PN/Madasafish mail handling still work if the domain is now elsewhere? I've read that PN mail handling requires the domain be with PN and I'm not sure where the domain's registration and nameservers were held before the move earlier today.

Second: if the PN/Madasafish mail handling will still work with the domain elsewhere, what is/are the recommended mail exchanger host name/s?

Third: if the PN/Madasafish mail handling will not work with the domain elsewhere, is it possible to move the domain back to Madasafish? (I am familiar with the IPSTAG mechanism to do this.)

TIA for any advice you can give on this.

Vince O'Farrell

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Madasafish/Freenetname MX record after moving domain away from PN

Fix

Hi Vince.

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware we can't add a domain to a Madasafish account for the mail handling/hosting if it's not registered by us under the Madasafish IPSTAG.

If you/the account holder wants to move the domain to Madasafish, if you can PM me the domain and Madasafish username/e-mail address I'll be happy to see what I can do.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
vof
Grafter

@Gandalf Thanks for that prompt reply. I have now got the mail service back up and running via the Easyspace mailbox so I hope I won't need to call on you to reinstate the Madasafish account. Regards, Vince

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem Vince and I'm glad to see you've got this sorted now.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet