cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Outlook Express unable to send Tiscali emails

kbroderick81

MS Outlook Express unable to send Tiscali emails

I've recently transferred to PN from Tiscal, but my Tiscali email address was not cancelled, so rather than create a new email address to send to all contacts I decided to carry on using the old one. PN even enabled me to receive service notifications that way.
However, MS Outlook Express, while able to receive emails through my Tiscali account, refuses to send emails that way, even replies
Contacting both Tiscali and PN has failed to solve the problem, the latest cause suggested being a problem within MSOE.
I'm using Windows XP and IE8.
Can anyone suggest a solution, please?
Many thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: MS Outlook Express unable to send Tiscali emails

You probably need to change the Outgoing Mail Server to relay.plus.net
kbroderick81

Thanks, but PlusNet suggested that and it didn't work.
MrT
Grafter

Oldjim's suggestion definitely works in MS Outlook.
Like me, you will probably find that your Tiscali account is inactive. I think, therefore, you will not be able to change any of your email details. Also if you never send anything via Tiscali will they eventually close your account? I know Orange used to do this!
kbroderick81

Thanks again. I'm still able to use my Tiscali account through the talktalk webpage using PlusNet and then linking through. Everything seems to be OK there, and I can receive and reply to emails, and send new ones including attachments.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you unticked "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)"
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: MrT
Also if you never send anything via Tiscali will they eventually close your account?

Still got my Tiscali email and I left them years ago.
Only ever use it via Outlook - receive from them (obviously) and send via a completely different route.
Mind you I've also got an email account at Opal which relates to a dial-up service at a company thery took over and I haven't used in well over 10 years!  Crazy
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Remove the account entirely and re-create it as per Tiscali's instructions for the receiving settings but enter 'relay.plus.net' as the outgoing mail server with no advanced options changed.
kbroderick81

Many thanks for all your suggestions.
Eventually, I followed Ben Trimble's advice and deleted the previous account information and reinstalled as suggested.
There was one glitch still, and that seems to have been resolved by unticking the "Remember password" option.
Otherwise, my problem with MSOE appears to have disappeared (at least for a simple test), but the proof will be in full use of MSOE from now on.
Thanks again - it's good to know there is such a wealth of knowledge and support available if needed.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear that we could help Smiley