Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Outlook 2007 replacement

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

MS Outlook 2007 replacement

Right, I'm sick and tired of Outlook's tantrums so I'm looking for  an M$ free replacement.
It would be handy if it read archive.pst files and was configurable with rules.
Any non M$ suggestions welcome.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: MS Outlook 2007 replacement

Have you tried Thunderbird?
You might find this useful: https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks John. I am now in the process of getting to grips with the intricacies of Thunderbird.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
kelvin
Grafter

I have used Thunderbird for many years and found it very good. I have a little problem with the later versions in that it installs a local folders account which cannot be removed. It doesn't cause any problems but does make the left hand pane look a little busy and is something that is not used. In earlier versions it could be removed/hidden by a handy little app but that hass not been developed for the lat couple of years and no longer works with the latest versions of Thunderbird.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

i've given up on fat clients for mail, use gmail web interface to manage all my mail.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Strat
Right, I'm sick and tired of Outlook's tantrums

Out of interest what tantrums?
I've been around the block several times on Email clients and always end up back with Outlook. Currently mostly I am using Outlook 2007.  Cool
Strat
Community Veteran

It started 'maximising' to a small bunch of pixels in the top left corner of the screen.
I have 2 or 3 'important' office 2007 updates pending installation....they have successfully installed countless times but still flag up for installation regularly Roll_eyes
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

That's intriguing though without seeing it it does sound more like a graphics problem (not the updates though).
One good thing about Outlook is that it's not difficult to remove completely and reinstall as you probably know: just make sure you record the mail account details first and ideally back up the PST files first.
shalom2010
Grafter

A good working practice that I use is to keep your pst file on a separate drive, that way whatever happens to Outlook your pst file will remain intact - I also do a daily backup of it of course!
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want a mainstream supported email client then I find Mozilla Thunderbird the easiest to live with.
However if you asked me which email client would I CHOOSE to use on Windows, that is simple and powerful to use, but also has really well thought out SPAM filtering, excellent advanced incoming mail handling, and more tweaks than you will ever need for doing otherwise impossible POP3 and IMAP processing, then my unreserved recommendation is Pegasus Mail
Both these email clients can import your existing Outlook .pst file, so you don't have to reconstruct all your folders, etc.
Cool
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: shalom2010
A good working practice that I use is to keep your pst file on a separate drive, that way whatever happens to Outlook your pst file will remain intact - I also do a daily backup of it of course!

I do that too. Outlook is on my SSD drive, the pst is on a spinning drive, and Norton Ghost does a full system backup each day!
Geoff,
York.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: purleigh
my unreserved recommendation is Pegasus Mail

+1
The (unique?) filtering at server level with POP3 was especially useful when faced with download limits - though it's not very friendly when you try to run it with wine and put the emails where you want them  Cry
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Pegasus Mail?
Wow - that takes me back. I remember using that at Uni Shocked
I'll have to see what it's like now.