cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MINDLESS (and arrogant) archiving of my e-mail

Buzzbuzzybuzz

MINDLESS (and arrogant) archiving of my e-mail

Every two months or so I receive an email from PlusNet telling me that my email has gone above the 1 Gig limit - I'm always baffled by these messages because invariably I'm not over the 1 Gig, but around 0.6 - 0.8 Gig.  Regardless, I archive my e-mails and reduce the space I'm using.

I received an email like this from PlusNet about a week ago - I checked the size of my Outlook folders and saw I was comfortably below 1 Gig. 

At 8:00pm last night PlusNet archived all of my e-mail - I had no access to any of it - it just disappeared.  I had a 'helpful' email telling me that it had been archived and I had 30 days to request it back or it would be deleted.

I had urgent e-mails waiting reply - they were all now archived and inaccessible.  I contacted Customer Services who said they would raise a ticket and it would take 24 hours to have my e-mail returned. NOT GOOD ENOUGH

I have been unable to reply to those urgent e-mails, I have a meeting at 08:30 this morning - the mobile number of the person I'm meeting is in an archived e-mail.

PLUSET, I understand that space on servers is limited - but why not give at least 48 hours notice?  Why not archive anything that is more than 30 days old (rather than everything up to 2 minutes old - and unread)

PLUSNET - you spend so much time and effort telling me that you'll 'Do me proud' and how customer focussed and friendly you are - and then you do something as crass and arrogant as this!!!!!

What if you'd done this while I was on my way to the airport to catch a flight - knowing that my booking reference was safely accessible in an e-mail on my phone, or a concert ticket, or a hotel reservation, or any of the many confirmations for events and services that are emailed to your customers every day.

I've tolerated your clunky '1990s' e-mail service for 15 years now - About time you improved?

13 REPLIES 13
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: MINDLESS (and arrogant) archiving of my e-mail

Perhaps move away from imap or webmail and use their pop3 service. You then are in control. Bear in mind its effectively
a free service provided by PN.
Buzzbuzzybuzz

Thanks Gel - I look at my email on both iPhone and PC - if I change these settings won't email be inaccessible on the other device?

Regarding 'free' service - the word service suggests 'service' doesn't it? With obligations and responsibility by the provider for the customer (all I'm asking for is a 'do the customer proud' approach rather than a s*d the customer approach). Regarding 'free', I seem to recall paying PN every month!
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

For other " business" customers reading this thread i suggest the " professional" thing to do is to have your own domain and subscribe to a professional business service including an email server. Plusnet's email service IMHO is targeted at a domestic customer and is not secure enough for business purposes as the example of the OP shows. In fact Gmail or such would serve better in this case. I would also suggest using an email client like Outlook, i have mine configured to download all emails to my desktop  and delete from the ISP's server after one month.  I in no way condone PN's attitude in this area but it's a regular occurrence as evidenced by threads on this forum and will continue to happen Roll_eyes

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Buzzbuzzybuzz

Many thanks, Peter, for your wise advice - I can see it is time to become more 'Professional'. Perhaps I should look for a professional ISP while I'm about it.
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Hi Bazzer.  A week ago I received the same message and spent ages deleting hundreds of emails.  I'm not sure how to total the remaining Mbs of space, but I'm sure it can't be over 1Gb.  Today, to my absolute fury they've told me that the space I occupy has GONE UP and that they will do what they've just done to you.  I feel they're targeting critics active on this Forum.  The other problem I had was trying to empty the `deleted items' folder.  The little red wheel churned round and round for an eternity and then invariably said `Server error'.  It's driving me insane.  I've gotta get out of this place!  Oh, by the way I've written to `Watchdog'.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hopefully @bobpullen will respond to this thread as he is the best man at PN on this subject

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @Buzzbuzzybuzz,

Sorry that this has happened, can you PM me your account details so I can take a look and see if I can get these important emails restored any quicker.

I'd also like to look into why you're getting the email advising that you're over the limit and see if we can get to the bottom of that for you as well.

@Scooterman999

Scooterman999 wrote:

A week ago I received the same message and spent ages deleting hundreds of emails.  I'm not sure how to total the remaining Mbs of space, but I'm sure it can't be over 1Gb.  Today, to my absolute fury they've told me that the space I occupy has GONE UP and that they will do what they've just done to you.

Sorry this has happened, can you just check for me your deleted items you mentioned that it produced an error message when you tried to clear it, without emptying the deleted items section your storage wont go down. If this isn't the case please message me your username so I can take a look.

Scooterman999 wrote:

I feel they're targeting critics active on this Forum.

I can understand your frustration and why you'd believe this but it's honestly not the case, why would we provide a forum then punish those that use it? the fact that I have no idea what your account details are (as forum accounts are not linked to customer accounts) should reassure you.

To ensure that these forums remain unbiased our forums are even moderated by our customers, they are the only ones that will ban, censor or move any posts.

Thanks

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Buzzbuzzybuzz

Hi Scooterman - I can only tell the total size of my email by checking Outlook on my PC - there is no way to know by looking on PN webmail. Deleting emails in webmail takes so long it's almost impossible so I archive it in Outlook on my PC which is much quicker.

I'm not asking them for special treatment- just for reasonable behaviour !
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Thanks JonoH for this reassurance. I have to go out just now, but on my return I will have another go at emptying my deleted items folder, and, if necessary come back to you.  Thanks for your interest in these problems.

Scooterman999
Rising Star

Thanks for this BuzzBuzzybuzz.  I'm still feeling my way round Outlook so haven't attempted archiving there yet.  But you are right that it's nigh on impossible to delete any quantity on PN.

Scooterman999
Rising Star

This was mistakenly addressed to Bazzer, whereas it should have been to Buzzbuzzybuzz.  I just saw the `B' and assumed it was you.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Buzzbuzzybuzz wrote:
I can only tell the total size of my email by checking Outlook on my PC - there is no way to know by looking on PN webmail.

On the webmail page, if you click the little cog icon in the bottom left hand corner, then click manage folders.

Once on this page, select the folder from the left hand side and this will bring up some info in the pane to the right. Click the information tab and there is then a link that says 'Click to get folder size' Clicking this will show the size of the specific folder.

(The screenshot below is my own Plusnet email)

Mailbox size.PNG

While I appreciate you're saying that you archive your emails whenever you receive the warning emails regarding the current size of the mailbox, are you doing this with both of the email address on your account or just one? As I've noticed one mailbox does have a very low amount in there, compared to the default mailbox which is now considerably over the 1GB.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

You then are in control. Bear in mind its effectively a free service provided by PN.

Why do people frequently make this silly and completely incorrect comment?

When I joined Force9 (now PlusNet) in 1998 email (and web space too) was part of my contract. It still is and it's not free - I pay for it every month.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!