Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking ahead

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Looking ahead

My wife and I have used the same Plusnet email domain for the best part of two decades, merely prefacing the domain name with our first names in order to differentiate. I’m getting on in years and trying to look ahead. If (or more likely when) she’s left on her own, the likelihood is that she will continue to receive emails addressed to me. Is there a method of avoiding this, ie by changing her email address but continuing to use Plusnet?

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Looking ahead

Hi,

I suspect that there might be some confusion in terminology here, along side the limited use of Plusnet's rich email functionality.

Your domain is the bit to the right of the @ in an email address, as in @youraccount.plus.com

You being a long standing Plusnet user will have a mail service with the "Catchall" switched on.  Catchall allows you by "prefacing the domain name" with anything@ to have the emails delivered to the default mailbox.

From what you said, I surmise that BOTH you and your wife, look at the one same (default) mailbox and can see each other's emails?

Id this is correct, then one way of addressing your requirement would be to set up named (secondary) email addresses (each with their own password) using the Manage My Mail option in the user portal and then set up new email accounts on the devices you each use to access the default mailbox.

The user name for secondary mailboxes is a little different from the default...

• wife@ would be youraccount+wife
  • ajax@ would be youraccount+ajax

IMAP and SMTP server address are identical.

This would give each of you separate isolated email boxes, she would not see your emails and you would not see her's.  There would need to be some practical fiddling to move historic emails in to each of your own new mailboxes.  The tedium of this might be mitigated by leaving your wife using the default (catchall) mailbox and just you setting up a named (secondary) mail box.

That said, the default mailbox still needs to be monitored for administrative messages ... and on your demise, there will be a need to respond to correspondence sent to your address appropriately.

If you need more help - just shout.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Looking ahead

Thank you for your helpful response. Yes, we both view the same (default) mailbox and can see each other's emails. We'll go along the secondary mailbox route that you suggest.