cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging in to Windows Mail

Peter28
Hooked

Logging in to Windows Mail

I have not been able to log into Windows mail or any other email client browser. Is there something I am missing, thinking that I should be able to use my email address and password to do this? If so why would it not work?

Thanks, Peter

9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Logging in to Windows Mail

Hi Peter,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Are you a new Plusnet customer?  if yes, has your account been activated yet?  Until an account is activated, your use of email will be restricted.  You can for example set up an email client and receive emails, but not send them until the account is activated.

If you are not a new customer, it is possible that your email account has been detected as being abused and the password might have been changed, but you do not say that is the nature of your problem / experience.

Reset email password

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

If you are not able to login to the email address using webmail then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has has its password changed. Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the account password is left unchanged.

Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address. If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the relevant user portal. If your email service is NOT a retained legacy service (one associated with a retired internet service account), then the password required by the router to connect to the internet will be changed too. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password yourself and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Peter28
Hooked

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I am a new customer and my account has been activated since 24th July. I am able to sign in to and use the Plusnet email browser, though it's very slow, hence the reason for my trying to sign in to Windows Mail and other email client browsers, none of them would sign in. So as far as I know my password is good.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Good morning Peter,

To summarise you can access your email successfully via the Plusnet Webmail Client ( http://webmail.plus.net ) but it is slow.  I am surprised that you ae finding it slow on a new mail account, such issues are usually only seen with large mailboxes - so we might be looking at an entirely different issue here.  Lets look at the obvious first.

Slow webmail

There is a known gremlin in the third party Round Cube webmail program which can cause delays in listing emails - see the end user mitigation post at the top of the Email board here. It somewhat appears that any sorting or filtering on a large mailbox cripples the performance of RC webmail, where as the 'basic' webmail program (Squirrel Mail) is not affected. Using Squirrel Mail can be an effective way of accessing a mail box which is running slow with RC.

You mention "Windows Mail" - do you mean Win10's in-built mail application?  How did you configure it, there are a number of options and the one you need is out of view in an not obviously scrollable window.  You must use manual POP / IMAP and follow the instructions @Gel directed you to.

You mention other client browsers - what are these?  You are using confusing terminology here which can make it difficult to understand what you are attempting and thus you might receive inappropriate advice.

Client - a program which resides on your PC and connects to the email service (such as Win10 email, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird).

Browser - a program used for accessing the internet in general (such as Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc), one such access being to a webmail client which in turn connects to the email service.

When using a browser you only need to know your account ID and password.

When using a client you also need to know the server address, port and encryption details - see Gel's post.

Details of the methods you are attempting to use and the error messages encountered will enable further help to be offered.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Peter28
Hooked

Hi Townman, 

I was never sure which terminology to use. 'Client' would be the one then.

It is Win10'sin built mail app. I typed in my email address and password as usual and it would register but no emails would come in, no sync. And I can't find where I would enter any POP / IMAP details, it doesn't come up and I can't find it anywhere in the settings. I also downloaded another client app which did ask for the POP / IMAP details, but I am having trouble finding them in my account pages, so I uninstalled the app.

Re squirrel mail, this seems to be affected as well, it is slow and I have had an error message saying the connection was dropped by the IMAP server.

Peter28
Hooked

Not sure if you can help me further Townman, or anyone. I have had this issue ever since the first time I opened my plusnet email. It is very slow and sometimes doesn't load at all. I have had server error messages. It's almost like the server and my account aren't communicating properly, and can be very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Peter28
Hooked

Not sure if anyone can help me further. I have had this issue ever since the first time I opened my plusnet email. It is very slow and sometimes doesn't load at all. I have had server error messages. It's almost like the server and my account aren't communicating properly, and can be very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry about the delayed response here - I must have missed your previous post.

Win10 in built mail ‘outlook’ is not great. When setting up an account, it does not help that the account type display window has hidden options for which the scroll bar is not blindingly obvious. Manual IMAP/POP3 and SMTP set up options are at the bottom of the list - the scroll bar only becoming visible when you “look for it” (roll the mouse over where it should be).

Peter28
Hooked

Yes, I have had the same trouble you mention with it. Though my biggest problem is now posted above (25/8) about my plusnet email dropping out and not connecting with the server. Can you help me with this?