cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging in to Webmail problem.

colintivy
Rising Star

Logging in to Webmail problem.

I have just failed to Login to Webmail on my Tower computer today and it has not accepted my password. Repeated efforts have failed. For months it has accepted the username  and password duly correctly filled in but not today. The boxes are empty. Filling in the correct data only gets rejected and the CAPTCHA do not help. What has fouled up?

My laptop which I am typing now runs perfectly as you can see!! Both computers are fairly new lenovos running Windows 7

9 REPLIES 9
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Logging in to Webmail problem.

Hi, 

We're taking a look.  It just failed for me, but then worked after a second attempt.   Have you tried again yet?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

Everything looks ok right now. All our tests are working.   Are you still having difficulty?

Kelly Dorset
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi! Kelly

No change today here. Many attempts now carried out without any change on the tower. It would seem that the computer is cocking up either or both texts before they get sent. Laptop entirely usable. Would it be possible to get your system to reveal the actual texts which it does reject by arrangement? I could keep in touch using the laptop as a means of communication.

Kelly
Hero

Hi Colintivy,  not easily (if at all).

Are you typing them in, or is it saved details?

Kelly Dorset
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks Kelly!

The problem clearly is within the tower Windows 7 Pro somewhere. Laptop still OK! I am not sure how to get at the appropriate bit of program to clear the damaged part. I guess that you do not have someone sufficiently expert to point me how to do the detective work. I expect that no one in the M$ will cooperate either.

Any advice that you know of that could help?Huh

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi! Kelly

In my haste I did not respond to your query. Usually the log-in boxes appear filled in with the correct texts. This time they were blank. I typed in the relevant texts which looked correct but they were identified as being incorrect. I tried a couple of times but the same thing happened.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Rather than over typing filled in information I suggest going to the browser's "saved passwords" store (*) and deleting any lines for https://webmail.plus.net which show your webmail username. It's possible that more than one line will need to be deleted. Check there aren't any http://webmail.plus.net (insecure) lines - delete them if there are.

Then close and reopen your browser.

Now visit Plusnet webmail again. You should find both the username and password fields are empty. Fill them in and try logging in. Your browser might ask if you want those details stored - clicking "yes" should be OK. Does this get you logged in?

(*) With Firefox this can be found by clicking the 3-line hamburger symbol on the right of the menu bar.
Then click Options and select Privacy & Security.
Then click the Saved Passwords button.

David
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi David!

Thanks for your advice, it has got me back to a working situation. I had not used the "hamburger" panel enough to have found the list on my own. Sadly old age is not up to speed nowadays!.

I do scan the Forum and often benefit from other's experiences but it was good that you took the time to tutor me.

Colin

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't have Windows 7 any more however a small 'funny' which I used to occasionally see was that the automatic system would not display the username and password although they were in fact 'automatically filled in' to the relevant boxes. Did you try logging in even though the boxes appeared to be blank? It may be that the details that you filled in were actually being appended to the correct details which were (invisibly) there.

Of course if this happened it would also corrupt the previously stored details so you'd only get the one chance as it were before applying the previous fix.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!