cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of email account

Greg2

Locked out of email account

A few days ago my email account stopped working, no clue why, the password doesn't work anymore, this is my main catch all email address.

So i asked to reset password... it sent that to my email address, which i cannot log into..

I can however log in and edit my main account, including all other redirects/mailboxes etc... just not do anything with the main one.

Obviously support is an issue currently and i cannot get through to them

Any help would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Locked out of email account

Hi Greg,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Are you able to login to the DEFAULT email account using webmail?  If not then I suspect that your default account has been identified as being compromised and has has its password changed.

You can only change the password on your DEFAULT mail address by changing the password on the ACCOUNT through the user portal. DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for it would appear that it has been compromised.

Note that changing the account password will change the password to be used for logging on to the portal AND that required by the router to connect to the internet.  If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically.  If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Greg2

Hi Townman

Thanks for the response

I'm with a completely different ISP, this is leftover from the days i was with plusnet, but still have multiple emails going to it.

This is the default email account, and i have been trying to use webmail per previous post.

So the password that you use to log into the portal, is the same as the default email account? Changing portal, will change mailbox?

Thank you for the advice re changing passwords on other sites 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Greg2 wrote:

This is the default email account, and i have been trying to use webmail per previous post.

So the password that you use to log into the portal, is the same as the default email account? Changing portal, will change mailbox? 

In principle yes.  However if Plusnet's systems security protection identifies activity which suggests that your DEFAULT email address has been compromised, the password on the default email address will be changed to inhibit continued abuse.

In such circumstances you will no longer be able to access that mailbox (you will not know the new password).  You can reset the password on the default mailbox by changing the password on your account - then the statement above will be true again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.