Did you mean: 

Leaving PlusNet

FIXED
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Leaving PlusNet

Just a very general question.

Although I'm not leaving at the moment my local council is apparently close to issuing an open tender to provide FTTP to my location - about 600 houses are involved. FTTC cannot be provided due to TPON issues.

Given the number of houses involved and the fact that alternative suppliers are active in the locality there's the possibility one of them and not OpenReach might win the tender.

If so, and I wanted a faster connection, I would have to leave PlusNet.

So my question is what happens to my PlusNet address? Do I get cut off immediately or is there a grace period? Can't find anything on the PlusNet site that covers this.

While I'm happy to change e-mails I would like to continue receiving from my current address for 6 months or so just to ensure I'd notified all those who need to know.

Brian

5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Leaving PlusNet

Fix

It is immediate. You can pay a monthly fee of £1.06 to check the email active.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bmc
Hero

Thanks for replying.

Not immediate - we'll probably be lucky if anything gets done this year by the time the tender process works it's way through the system and then the "winner" does the actual work. I'm just interested to know what my options are if an alternative supplier does win. If OpenReach win them I'm sorted with PlusNet.

I did read somewhere about a monthly charge for keeping the e-mail address but I can't find anything on the PlusNet site. Keeping the address live for 6 months or a year might well suite me if the time comes to say goodbye.

It would be helpful if there was something on the PlusNet site about the options when leaving.

Brian

bmc
Hero

Mis-read your post. Thought you were asking if FTTP was imminent. I now see it's the loss on e-mail which is immediate.

Brian

Mav
Fixes: 515

In the meantime why not purchase a domain from somewhere like 123reg.com and set up forwarding from Plusnet's email settings then, when or if you move, you can simply set up new forwarding from the new provider?

May even save you a few pounds a year.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bmc
Hero

Hopefully OpenReach will win the tender (if it happens!!!) and I'll happily stay with PlusNet.

I have no real problem using a new e-mail address if I have to. I just wanted information on what happens when if I were to leave. As previously stated the website doesn't do details.

Brian