Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest SPF entries

FIXED
robatworkuk
Grafter

Latest SPF entries

Could someone from plusnet let me know what the latest SPF record should look like?

Our domain sends through relay.plus.net.

I found some older posts referring to +include:madasafish.com. Is this still valid and complete?

many thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Latest SPF entries

Hi there,

We don't support SPF records I'm afraid, so it would be set at neutral.

Let us know if you have any further questions

Anoush.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@Gandalf, previously on external domains SPF records can be added and as the OP said using +include:madasafish.com would pull all the Plusnet IPs used for replay.plus.net, so sending via relay.plus.net would still pass.  Are you saying this is no longer the case, or did you misunderstand what was being asked?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

As far as I'm aware we've never supported SPF records.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@Gandalf , I think what the OP and @pjmarsh are referring to , is what SPF records to add to an externally hosted domain (which does allow SPF records) to allow routing of mail through the plusnet relays. As pjmarsh says it used to be +include:madasfish.com to specify all the possible PN relay servers . Probably needs @bobpullen to confirm this is still correct

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

I don't believe any changes have been made since last time Bob posted about this. So the one in the OP should work.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@Chris, do you mean no changes to the madasafish.com record, no changes to the IP addresses of the servers behind relay.plus.net or both?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I meant no changes to what's needed in the SPF record.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
robatworkuk
Grafter

Just to update - I did indeed mean exactly what MisterW said - to setup my own domain to use relay.plus.net

I have put in madasafish and so far so good in the odd email I have sent to myself, but was just after a confirmation as I didn't see this asked in a couple of years and IPs change occasionally....

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Although the SMTP server lists haven't changed I think it's a fair bet that if they did Plusnet would update the madasafish SPF include file to suit.

David
robatworkuk
Grafter

Apropos of not much, I remember when madasafish started as an ISP, at a time I was with nildram I believe. It's a real shame none of these small cheap ISPs survived. Nildram was subsumed by pipex, then opal, then talktalk. With each takeover it became more difficult to talk to anyone who knows what they were talking about. Talktalk are still cheap and their service demonstrates that. However until someone works out a way of porting IP addresses from one ISP to another (it will never happen) we're stuck with them as one of our ISPs.

So far plusnet have been OK as far as the service/price ratio is concerned, certainly better than talktalk.

wallyhall

[UPDATED: I was wrong, quite possibly the accepted answer remains valid.]

I'm [still] highly disappointed that Plusnet can't sort out a supported solution for people hosting a domain behind a Plusnet IP address (i.e. provide proper SPF support) - increasingly I'm of the opinion that for such users you've little option but to consider alternative providers.

@plusnet - is there really no chance of your technical team just publishing a SPF record for everyone to use?