cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle mail program not been able to connect to server all day

LJH

Kindle mail program not been able to connect to server all day

For some reason today my kindle hasn't been able to connect to the email server all day today.  I've never had this problem with it before and my laptop has been intermittent on being able to check my email.  There has been no outages of the broadband service ( not fibre), it's just seems to be an issue with the plusnet email.   All other email accounts I have are running fine ( gmail etc)

I can't see if this has been an issue raised by anyone else.  I didn't matter what wifi I was connected to I just kept getting the message that it couldn't connect to server.  No settings have changed... is this an issue anyone else is having today ?

cheers, Lisa

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Kindle mail program not been able to connect to server all day

Hi Lisa,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Exactly what happens when you try to connect to email?  Are you getting user name / password prompts or is it just slow?

Is just slow, this could be a connectivity issue - is there any noise on the telephone?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LJH

Re: Kindle mail program not been able to connect to server all day

Hi Townman, 

Thanks for the welcome and your reply.

I performed the line test, and that's fine.  It was just the kindle email program that wouldn't connect to the server, the broadband was working fine for all other aspects of internet activity.  When it tried to check my email, it would bring up a big black banner at the top saying " Unable to open server connection" for my plusnet email, though it could quite happily check and load all my other email accounts ( gmail, outlook etc).  see the picture from last night, ( with my surname redacted). The laptop was loading emails in very intermittent chunks rather than the time it actually arrived.  

InkedScreenshot_2022-03-25-20-00-44_LI.jpg

I did actually wonder about the phone line so I tried using my mobile as a hotspot using 4G, I still couldn't connect to the email server.  I even went down to a local cafe yesterday and used their WiFi, the same was happening there too.

All seems to be fine today, whatever was going on yesterday looks like it's sorted ( hoping I haven't jinxed it now, lol)

I have no idea what was causing it,

Thanks again, Lisa