cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle Fire HDX imap "special folders" duplicated help needed

sdread

Kindle Fire HDX imap "special folders" duplicated help needed

Hi I have setup my PlusNet imap email account on the Kindle Fire HDX.
I can receive and send emails no problem...
However, in the show folders list I have problems.  The general set on the kindle appears to be:
Sent (with letter shaped as paper plane)
Outbox (folder with right arrow)
Drafts (folder with pencil)
Recycle Bin (shaped as bin)
None of the above work btw and get server connection messages
Under these I have the plusnet imap special folders as stipulated in the email settings in webmail.
Drafts
Sent
Spam
Trash
(all these folders are plain btw).
These work fine (i.e. I can see my sent/drafts etc).
Has anyone come across this before please?
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
sdread

Re: Kindle Fire HDX imap "special folders" duplicated help needed

I have tried removing the account from the Kindle Fire and deleting all the mail settings etc but no difference.
However I have noted that the Kindle fire saves any sent mail to its own Sent folder which of course does not sync with plusnet so you end up with 2 sent folders as described above
1. Sent folder with paper airplane 1 - anything sent from the Kindle fire appears in here.
2. Sent folder beneath plain - emails that are on PlusNet webmail (sent via webmail)
The same goes for drafts they are stored in the Kindle fires local Drafts folder not the imap ones underneath.
So it appears that the imap folders as supplied by PlusNet are viewed by the Kindle fire as additional subscribed folders and not as the standard Sent/Drafts as you would expect.
Any feedback from a PlusNet expert or other user that has come across similar issues with PlusNet IMAP would be appreciated.
Thank you
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've no experience with the Kindle Fire, but as it's a fork of Android you may well be facing the problem described in the thread here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

sdread

Thank you for your reply.
It turns out there is no way to do it there is obviously a specific fault between the mail app and the plusnet imap servers.
There is however an answer for any other Kindle HDX users having this problem with minor ISP's imap servers.  Use K9 mail app and delete the Amazon standard mail app on the Kindle, the K9 mail app is community written and copes with plusnet's imap server setup perfectly!  All folders sync properly and no additional folders are created.
Hopefully Amazon will update the Kindle Fires mail app in the future to cope with all imap servers, but until the, at least I can use plusnets email and the Kindle. Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

K9 supports push/idle too which I doubt the Kindle app does.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵