Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle Fire HD Email cannot access Sent folder

FIXED
m0631
Fixes: 1

Kindle Fire HD Email cannot access Sent folder

I'm helping a neighbour with problems on his Kindle Fire. Plusnet email is setup as IMAP.

Using the standard email app, if we try to access the Sent folder, we get a message saying 'connection problem' and there are no messages shown in the Sent folder.

If we use K9mail instead, all is OK and we can see the contents of the Sent folder. The contents are also visible in Webmail.

So I'm thinking that the standard email app isn't picking up the folder structure properly. 

In the account settings for Incoming there is an option to specify 'server folder path', currently blank. Should I specify something here?

Anyone else see this problem?

Thanks

Martin

UPDATE: I looked at my Thunderbird email settings on Windows and found (in server settings - advanced) Personal Namespace set to "INBOX.". So I've put that (without the quote marks) into the server folder path on the Fire HD. All now appears to work. I'm guessing that the email app isn't adhering to standards. Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Kindle Fire HD Email cannot access Sent folder

IMAP can be a bit inconsistent TBH and there aren't really any strict standards concerning namespace.

As you've found out, the MTA we use (courier) uses INBOX. as the folder path, which if I'm honest is quite unusual compared to the alternatives.

Another thing IMAP clients do that's annoying is have different special folder names i.e. you can access your mail from a few different clients and end up with multiple 'sent' folders on the server, all called a slightly different thing.

Our Webmail platform let's you elect the folder of your choice for sent email etc. so you can align it with the client you're using.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

m0631

Fix

Strange though, that both K9mail and Thunderbird worked out the folder structure without me doing anything.

Presumably anyone using Kindle Fire is going to have the same problem.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the solution described in the setup guides?

southerner
Aspiring Pro

Strange, my Fire HD worked with Plusnet IMAP out of the box using the default mail client.