cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep email account when *temporarily* moving house, before resurrecting account in new home

martinund
Grafter

Keep email account when *temporarily* moving house, before resurrecting account in new home

When we move house, we may temporarily move into rented accommodation where there is already broadband.

Is there a way to suspend a Plusnet account, so as to preserve the email accounts associated with it, such that the account can be resurrected when we move to a new permanent address where we will want a Plusnet account.

I understand that there is a mechanism for preserving a Plusnet address when moving to a non-Plusnet broadband connection, but this is slightly different: preserving it when we temporarily suspend the account.

6 REPLIES 6
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Keep email account when *temporarily* moving house, before resurrecting account in new home

Yes I believe you can do this, there is a small monthly charge (I think a few pounds).
Ask to be put on that when you move into your temporary accommodation.

When you move into your permanent place, and sign up to PlusNet I assume the charge won't apply as you'll be a customer again, (well of course other than the monthly account charge).

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Keep email account when *temporarily* moving house, before resurrecting account in new home

@martinund How long is "temporary" likely to be? Just wondering if taking a while to move home (so to speak) might be an option?

Discussing requirements with the house moves team on 0800 013 2632 could be useful.

David
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Whilst we can't suspend an account, my advice would be to request your account to be downgraded to Mail Only for a fee of £1.06 per month.

With that said, we won't be able to upgrade the account back to a broadband account, so when you know your new address, you'll need to set up a new account by calling our sales team or online at www.plus.net

Alternatively, if you know where you're moving to as a permanent address and if it's within the next 30 or so days, we should be able to schedule your house move for your move-in date without closing/downgrading the account.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I had the same problem when I changed from BT and wanted to keep my btinternet.com email address it would have cost £5 per month yes £5 per month after 30days it used to be only £1.60 per month.

To solve to problem and if I were to were to change supplier in the future I opened a free Gmail account and have found it very good its better at detecting spam mail and has all the things bt email had but in slightly different format and its free

Hope this helps

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Following @Gandalf's reply, it's worth keeping in mind we can schedule house moves for 3 months (90 days) in advance, if that's a better way for you please get in touch with our house moves team and they'll arrange this for you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
martinund
Grafter

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi there.

Whilst we can't suspend an account, my advice would be to request your account to be downgraded to Mail Only for a fee of £1.06 per month.

With that said, we won't be able to upgrade the account back to a broadband account, so when you know your new address, you'll need to set up a new account by calling our sales team or online at www.plus.net

This sounded very promising until the second paragraph. Unless I want to carry on paying the £1.06 forever afterwards, I think I may have to live with saying goodbye to the old email addresses, if you can't *up* grade an account back to broadband again.

You really do need to improve this, to cater for the situation (which I'm sure isn't uncommon) of people moving into temporary accommodation and the into permanent - ie not making a direct moved from one permanent address to another. Losing the account (specifically the email addresses) when you move house, just because you need to go into temporary accommodation, is a real nuisance, given all the websites where an email address is used as ID, and all the people who need to be told of the new address.

What is so difficult about putting an account on hold and then resuming it at a later date at a new address?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Fixed quote replication.