Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junk Email

FIXED
arthurian
Hooked

Junk Email

I notice that the great majority of the Spam email my account receives is 3kb or less mostly just 2kb. Is it possible to filter all email of say 3kb or less out. It would solve my junk mail problem almost 100%

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Junk Email

@arthurian

Welcome to the Plusnet Community forums. Smiley

That's an interesting thought, though it wouldn't work for me. Some non-spam messages I receive are just under 3kB.

Server side filtering on Plusnet email is limited to what the Cloudmark appliances classify as spam. We don't have means to set up independent filters. However mail filters in many email clients (eg Thunderbird) can be set to filter according to size if that would meet your needs.

David
arthurian
Hooked

Hi, Thanks for your comments and I guess the idea would not be suitable for everyone but I simply noticed that it would be particularly suitable for my email use and thought it worth mentioning, because to my untutored mind I thought it would be so easy to apply.. I did try Thunderbird a while ago but preferred Outlook. However I am not what you would call a volume user and considerably less so if the junk can be filtered out.

arthurian
Hooked

Sorry, I should add that by far the majority of my junk mail is 2kb so for me 2kb or less would also be a great filter.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Fix

Mail handling rules based on message size can also be set up in Outlook 2016. One starts with a blank template to set this up.

However do the spam messages come from a single address (or a small number thereof)? (This is the "Return-path" sender shown in the headers, not the "From" field?) If this applies adding that/those domains into the Spam blocklist in Manage My Mail (https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail) could help.

David
arthurian
Hooked

Hi David, thanks again for your help. I have found the rule in Outlook and have set it up so just see what happens. I have been fairly religious in clearing junk from the inbox and when I ran the rule it found nothing so hopefully it is working well. Thanks again

SpinDryer
Grafter

@arthurian wrote:

I notice that the great majority of the Spam email my account receives is 3kb or less mostly just 2kb. Is it possible to filter all email of say 3kb or less out. It would solve my junk mail problem almost 100%

Hello.

You do need to be careful with size based anti-spam measures. Thunderbird can show the email size in the list display, and then sorted for size order. It's easy to get emails much below 2Kb. A mate might simply send an email saying

You going to the pub later? If so see you at 8

Ok, a text or whatsapp is perhaps more suited, however it's not too tricky to have short one or two line emails (or even more for non html messages). I've even got service emails and website confirmation emails less that 2-3Kb.

arthurian
Hooked

Hi, Thanks for that but using the filter in Outlook the suspect emails just get moved into a junk folder which it is simple to check for exceptions, Thanks for the thought anywaay