Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues using basic/squirrel mail to access emails

Skirmish
Hooked

Issues using basic/squirrel mail to access emails

Hi Guys,

Having issues with emails coming through - when this problem arrises I usually log in via squirrel mail and delete some emails, however, now when I log in the left hand column of email options only allows me to access spam/sent/junk (text in black) - unread and inbox are in green and don`t work???

Any ideas?

Folders
Last Refresh:
Fri, 10:12 am

(Check mail)

- INBOX
    Drafts
    Sent
    Trash
    BVConfig
    Deleted Messages
    Junk
    Spam

7 REPLIES 7
Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Issues using basic/squirrel mail to access emails

Hi there @Skirmish, I am sorry to hear that you're having issues logging into your Squirrel Mail. As this is a third party client it's not something we would be able to support from a Plusnet point of view, but I do hope one of our very skilled forum users is able to give you some assistance.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@Buttercup Actually Squirrel Mail is not a third party client, it was the previous offering of PlusNet for Webmail (and is still available to use under the “basic” webmail label).
@Skirmish Over the many years I have used squirrel mail I never saw anything similar to what you reported but most problems were down to the thing not loading up correctly. I would suggest you try a forced reload if you encounter this problem again.
That's RPM to you!!
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

This is happening to me today too but on the normal webmail. (I thought I was on the basic webmail as the log in page was totally different from how it normally looks and there's no way to switch from basic to advanced or vice versa.)

I usually pick up my emails on Mail on my computer or phone.

It eventually worked OK on Chrome (which I installed when another website was playing up on both Firefox and Safari).

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Gemini2

Access to webmail has always been a problem. I have been asked by PN to reduce the size of my inbox but I'm not prepared to waste any more time reading their messages that access has failed. If they want the size of my inbox reduced they will have to do it themselves.

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I've never had problems with webmail before and have emails to be deleted a month after collecting them in my Mail program, so as not to let them get too full.
The current problem appears, at least in my case, to be browser related. Recently browsers seem to be becoming incompatible with some websites and I had to install chrome so I could get some pages to display properly.

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gemini2 wrote:

Access to webmail has always been a problem. I have been asked by PN to reduce the size of my inbox but I'm not prepared to waste any more time reading their messages that access has failed. If they want the size of my inbox reduced they will have to do it themselves.

Inaction from yourself, will result in all of your email being achieved.

There are interfaces (email applications) other than webmail (standard or basic) which you can use to access email which you might find less troublesome.

Slow webmail

There is a known gremlin in the third party Round Cube webmail program which can cause delays in listing emails - see the end user mitigation post at the top of the Email board here. It somewhat appears that any sorting or filtering on a large mailbox cripples the performance of RC webmail, where as the 'basic' webmail program (Squirrel Mail) is not affected. Using Squirrel Mail can be an effective way of accessing a mail box which is running slow with RC.

There is no necessity to restrict your access to your email via the Webmail interface.  Virtually every IT device comes with an in-built email program which can be configured to access your Plusnet email service.  See the setting up an email client guide.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gemini2

Many thanks everyone. Basic did the trick!