Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is webmail down?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Is webmail down?

Been trying all day to setup outlook android app and outlook on windows 10 to access my plusnet .co.uk account with no joy. It does open the inbox and I can see emails that have already been download however no new emails are coming through.

I generally use Thunderbird on my linux system at work and plusnet webmail on my W10 laptop at home to access work emails, I first thought outlook wasn't playing nice so gave up on the idea to go back to the old way of doing things but now when I try to use webmail the server times out with some warning about not being able to fetch.

Now I can't seem to access work emails from home on any platform. They seem to still be coming through ok on the T-Bird and the generic email handler on my phone.

9 REPLIES 9
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Is webmail down?

Hi @AWB70

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Plusnet Email Service. There's just a few things that I#d need to check prior to raising this to the relevant department for you.

1. Is your mailbox full? If your mailbox has exceeded 1GB or storage, you should have received emails stating the fact.

2. Does the issue itself stem from not being able to log in at all via webmail, or are you able to log in, but are then not able to receive new emails?

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

The fetch errors and performance issues with webmail are likely to do with a known problem we’re aware about and working on getting to the bottom of. The steps Here  or using basic webmail Here may improve things. 

For a Plusnet mailbox if they’re full we’d archive the mail (after reminders) so that shouldn’t be the issue.

My thoughts, are you using the same settings with Outlook as you are on Thunderbird that’s working? Posting up screenshots of the stages you go through when setting the email account up, redacting personal info may be handy to see if anybody can spot an issue. 

I hope this helps. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

@adam945 As far as I'm aware I haven't exceeded my limit or received any emails, where can I check my storage?

@Anoush The thread you linked seemed to sort out the issue on the first post by changing the list to "none" so much appreciated on that one.

TBird seems to be working and also syncing across with webmail again so I guess I'm back where I started pre-trying to use the outlook app on my phone rather than the generic built in handler (Blackberry Hub) The reason I was messing was because I've been a Blackberry guy for probably around 15 years but I think it's time to move into a new phone so was trying to familiarise myself with how the outlook app operates on Android which evidentially isn't very nice.

I never have got to the bottom of using my IMAP account with outlook web because of folder sync issues with the sent messages. I was hoping if I do get a new phone I could have used the full outlook range, web and android app to keep everything in sync but that doesn't look like it's happening. Does purchasing 365 give you more possibilities? Doesn't help that I'm a Linux user either I guess.

Current situation is My outlook web account doesn't appear to be receiving email from my imap co.uk address, I'm tempted to delete it and set up again but I stumbled across something saying new accounts can't be added after 10th May 21

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No easy way to check your mail storage but if you go to Settings (in webmail) > Folders > select each folder in turn > Information > Size you can add up the size of all the folders you have to get a total. 

Shouldn’t need to buy 365 to setup your emails on Outlook. Are you going through the advanced setup? Try setting up a new email account on Outlook without deleting the existing one, you’ll then know for sure if it’s still possible. I’ve had a quick look and I can’t see anywhere that’d suggest you can’t though. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Buddy, I seem to be getting somewhere here, I used the settings from this post https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/E-mails-using-Outlook-App-on-mobile-phone/td-p/1808570 which seems to have setup imap email in the outlook app. I sent a message from the outlook android app and it synced across T-Bird and Plusnet Web mail so the million dollar question is if I set up my imap email on my Outlook Web account and I send an email through it goes through the "sent items" folder which doesn't sync with any of my other clients. Is there a way round this or do I just resign to the fact outlook web will never be able to do this?

You can't seem to have an Outlook free account without first setting up an @outlook account which is why I mention 365. It seems possible there or with the desktop version.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@AWB70 wrote:

Thanks Buddy, I seem to be getting somewhere here, I used the settings from this post https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/E-mails-using-Outlook-App-on-mobile-phone/td-p/1808570 which seems to have setup imap email in the outlook app. I sent a message from the outlook android app and it synced across T-Bird and Plusnet Web mail

Awesome Thumbs_Up

so the million dollar question is if I set up my imap email on my Outlook Web account and I send an email through it goes through the "sent items" folder which doesn't sync with any of my other clients. Is there a way round this or do I just resign to the fact outlook web will never be able to do this?

I use an Outlook Web account for my work @plus.net emails and the sent folder sync’s across to Outlook on my laptop so it seems possible. 

I don’t manually set it up though as that’s automatically managed by Plusnet being a work address.

Unsure what’s going wrong here. Are there any settings in the web account you can have a play around with?

You can't seem to have an Outlook free account without first setting up an @outlook account which is why I mention 365. It seems possible there or with the desktop version.

Ah I see. Yeah I remember that being a thing. 

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

You know when you get that feeling of de ja vue Smiley It's been one of those things I've always ended up giving in on and going back to other mail clients. It seems you can add your plusnet email to the outlook app as an imap account and sync your sent folder across devices and clients with the exception of outlook web. Regardless of what you do emails will always end up in the "sent item" folder which won't sync with "Sent" the folder imap uses. You would think there would be a rule you could create along the lines of (If message is sent by me> move message from sent items to sent) which should theoretically then sync across all other imap based clients. Unfortunately all the rules on the free web version only seem to apply to incoming email.

Unless someone knows any different it looks like I'll have to scrap outlook web as a client, I'm not receiving any emails through it again anyway for whatever reason! Might as well just go back to how I was doing things but at least I know the mobile app could work. If they make the app work not sure why the web client wouldn't unless MS deliberately only incorporate the feature on the 365 version. I tolerate the adverts on the free version so it's not like they have nothing to gain by me using it.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ah yeah that’s a little odd. Been doing some digging. Reading through the webpages Here and Here, setting a root folder path seems to be the fix (making sure you backup your sent mail first if there’s anything important you want to keep in case it goes horribly wrong.

This doesn’t seem to explain why you can’t receive mail via the web app though, unless setting the root folder path will fix that too and you’re definitely using the correct details when setting up your emails on the web app.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@AWB70 

There is a log going on in this thread, some of which does not read overly clear and none of it offers precision on what problems you are experiencing, which makes offering focussed help difficult.

Been trying all day to setup outlook android app and outlook on windows 10 to access my plusnet .co.uk account with no joy. It does open the inbox and I can see emails that have already been download however no new emails are coming through.

If this is a new setup, what do you mean by "already down loaded"?  Down loaded to where / when?

By Outlook on WIn10 - exactly what do you mean?  Outlook 2016 / 2019 as per a subscription to Office365 or the Win10 Mail program or Outlook.com in a web browser?  They all "trade" under the name "outlook".

You indicated that you've been a user for 15 years so is this a @username.plus.com mailbox or one of the legacy brands?  Many of the legacy brands have firm usage quotas, which if exceeded will cause new email to be rejected, so if the box is full you will not see new emails sent to that address.  Plusnet mailboxes di have a fair usage policy of 1GB but having exceeded that will not inhibit new mail being delivered.

I generally use Thunderbird on my linux system at work and plusnet webmail on my W10 laptop at home to access work emails,

Is your work email a Plusnet mailbox?  Plusnet Webmail (as in http://webmail.plus.net) only accesses Plusnet mailboxes.

I never have got to the bottom of using my IMAP account with outlook web because of folder sync issues with the sent messages.

That sounds as though you are talking about the Win10 mail application, which is not a particularly nice application.  It is somewhat of an offence to proper outlook that MS refer to it as outlook!  There are a number of familiar issues with that product, it can be problematic to set up, it presumes the name of the sent folder, which might not the the sent items folder which is already present on the server.  Most IMAP email clients will look to see if there is a sent folder already present in the mailbox and adopt it.  Not Win10 mail, it will dictate the name of the folder and if it does not exist create a new one.  Thereby what you had sent via one device will not appear in "sent items" on Win10 Mail.  Win10 mail also has a habit of deleting sent items ... just after sending them.

Does purchasing 365 give you more possibilities?

In respect of Win10 platforms, it certainly gives you access to proper Outlook!  That question somewhat affirms my suspicion that you are not using "outlook" as it is commonly understood by the term - Outlook in the guise it has always been known as since Outlook (Office) 2007.

I was hoping if I do get a new phone I could have used the full outlook range, web and android app to keep everything in sync

It is not so much that the tools keep everything in sync, but more that they each present the same view of the content of the email server.  They are each IMAP email clients provided by different vendors looking at the same email store.  All you need to do is to configure the IMAP and SMTP servers the same on all products and you will see the same view - provided they all play nicely.

Note as mentioned above, Win 10 Mail (aka "outlook") does not play nicely with the sent items folder, it also uses a local draft folder, so something you start writing on one device and then save before sending, cannot be picked up on another device using Win10 Mail, as happens with proper Outlook365 (2016 / 2019).

Current situation is My outlook web account doesn't appear to be receiving email from my imap co.uk address

That reads as a reference to "Outlook" as a web application at http://outlook.com - which is a completely different ball game.  It might be inferred from the way you word this that you are using Outlook.com has a mail concentrator ... which is something entirely different and not something I personally would recommend.

@Anoush "Shouldn’t need to buy 365 to setup your emails on Outlook"

That depends on if you want a proper version of outlook or an excuse for outlook!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.