cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there currently a problem with POP mail? (11/3/15 13:45)

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Re: Is there currently a problem with POP mail? (11/3/15 13:45)

My mail accounts haven't reset themselves to SSL since I unticked 'Automatically detect and maintain account settings', so that's fixed the problem for me (till Apple changes something else!). Smiley
P.S. I've got Yosemite on a 5 yr old old Mac Mini but my husband's iMac is still on Lion and he's had none of this trouble as his is an older version of Mail without the automatic mail setting option.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
chaswick
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

At present I have the "automatically detect and maintain account settings" box unticked, and also the SSL box unticked. But my incoming mail still won't work. The "Mail Connection Doctor" states that POP account has failed. It seems so odd that it was woking overnight and failed again this morning.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Have you got 'Allow insecure authentication' ticked? Attaching jpg of what settings are working for me (2nd and 3rd options aren't relevant, of course).
chaswick
Rising Star

When I went in to check against your settings, would you believe it? The SSL box had reticked itself! But I am pretty sure I hadn't previously got the insecure authentication ticked before. So I have now done this, and hey presto, it works! So, Mad Moggies, I am giving you 5 stars for your help, with the promise of another 5 stars if it doesn't alter its settings itself in the next 24 hours! Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chaswick,
What is your platform?  There is a suggestion around that some Apple platforms are setting SSL unilaterally.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks Chaswick, good luck!  Wink
chaswick
Rising Star

Hello Townman
I am running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 on a 2-yr old iMac. This is the first time I have had any problems with my email.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Has there been a recent update?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dmhome
Grafter

Having same problem with email but have read advice in this thread and hopefully  problem solved - many thanks. Point of interest, when I spoke to customer support, although they were aware of the problem, the advice they provided did not work. Interesting that although they knew about the problem they did not send out any warning to customers, I am sure many customers have Apple computers.
chaswick
Rising Star

Hello Townman
I see there was a security update on 10th March, but this problem didn't manifest itself until 12th March.
mkstevo
Grafter

Quote from: Mad
My mail accounts haven't reset themselves to SSL since I unticked 'Automatically detect and maintain account settings', so that's fixed the problem for me (till Apple changes something else!). Smiley
P.S. I've got Yosemite on a 5 yr old old Mac Mini but my husband's iMac is still on Lion and he's had none of this trouble as his is an older version of Mail without the automatic mail setting option.

Ahhh...
I'll try that. My SSL has turned itself back on again! I'll see how it goes with the 'Automatically detect and Maintain...' turned off.
I wonder why it has only recently started to play up? I'm yet to install the most recent update although it's downloading now. (Security Update 2015-002)
GE90
Grafter

I'm having the same issues since the security update I downloaded yesterday!
There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “**********************” or try again.
The server returned the error: Connections to the server “imap.plus.net” on the default ports timed out.

Any ideas on a fix? This must surely be effecting lots of users/customers?
Many thanks
GE90
Grafter

I should have added, I am using IMAP, not POP3.
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

GE90,
This thread has made several references to the Apple update unilaterally implementing SSL security on mail server connections.  PlusNET does not support SSL connections.  This issue is an Apple issue.  You can circumvent thissue by going to the email configuration settings and turning off "use SSL" as described elsewhere in this thread.

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

You also need to untick 'Automatically detect and maintain account settings' at the top of the Advanced tab. Otherwise Mail will keep turning SSL back on again.
Funnily, it wasn't changing all my Plusnet mail accounts and it only started changing them the morning after I installed the latest security update.