cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is one of my Email addresses blocked

hamilton36
Grafter

Is one of my Email addresses blocked

I have an email account with Opera and I have set up my main client, Thunderbird, to collect emails from Opera Inbox via IMAP.  About a month ago emails stopped arriving.  After some sending of test messages, I found that I can send emails from Opera but cannot receive. All my emails are sent via relay.plus.net and they neither arrive nor are bounced when sent to Opera email address.  Are you blocking Opera, please?
Many thanks,
Alex
32 REPLIES 32
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Is one of my Email addresses blocked

Send a test message using PlusNet's webmail to your Opera email address, see if that works.
hamilton36
Grafter

Good idea, thank you. Sent a test message 20 mins ago and it has neither arrived nor bounced!
Thanks again,
Alex
hamilton36
Grafter

After more tests, I can now confirm that emails sent from Outlook, AOLmail, Gmail and Yahoo Email are all being delivered to Operamail and collected by Thunderbird.  Only emails sent via relay.plus.net are not getting anywhere!
Thanks,
Alex
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

AFAIK Opera have discontinued their mail service so this particular issue is not going to be easy for us to replicate. Am I right in assuming the service is now hosted with Fastmail? I would suggest you try sending a number of emails to your Opera address via Webmail making a note of the:

• Date/time

• Subject line

• To/From address

With that information we should be able to check our mail logs to confirm whether or not the messages left our mail platform. You'll probably need to give me a nudge here once the support ticket's raised so I can escalate it accordingly.
If the messages are found to have left our platform, then your next port of call would be to contact Operamail/Fastmail.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Right, I've replicated the problem using a trial Fastmail account. Seems you're not alone and we've a few other customers who've been reporting problems too.
I've raised an internal problem because at a glance the issue does seem to be at this side (ref: 82033).
It seems that our mail servers are struggling to resolve Fastmail's MX's, which means they don't know where to send your messages. I'm not sure why no DSN's have been generated:
~$ dig fastmail.fm mx
; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.2 <<>> fastmail.fm mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53948
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;fastmail.fm.                  IN      MX
;; ANSWER SECTION:
fastmail.fm.            368    IN      MX      10 in1-smtp.messagingengine.com.
fastmail.fm.            368    IN      MX      20 in2-smtp.messagingengine.com.
~$ host in1-smtp.messagingengine.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I've reached out to Fastmail to let them know should any of our customers approach them, and will report back here once I've more of an idea regarding what's causing the problem...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
AFAIK Opera have discontinued their mail service so this particular issue is not going to be easy for us to replicate. Am I right in assuming the service is now hosted with Fastmail? I would suggest you try sending a number of emails to your Opera address via Webmail making a note of the:

• Date/time

• Subject line

• To/From address

With that information we should be able to check our mail logs to confirm whether or not the messages left our mail platform. You'll probably need to give me a nudge here once the support ticket's raised so I can escalate it accordingly.
If the messages are found to have left our platform, then your next port of call would be to contact Operamail/Fastmail.

Bob,
Thank you for your kind intervention.  I have just sent a message from webmail as you suggested to <snip> The heading is Test Message to Operamail and it was sent at 13.37hrs today, Tuesday 14th July.
Thanks again,
Alex
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  email address removed but noted for Bob ]
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Should now be fixed. Let me know if you're still experiencing difficulties Alex.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Should now be fixed. Let me know if you're still experiencing difficulties Alex.

It is now working normally.
Thank you very much, for sorting this out.
Alex
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
hamilton36
Grafter

Well, that fix did not last and the amails are not being delivered to Operamail again. Can you do something of a more permanent nature, please. This is becoming quite frustrating.
Many thanks,
Alex
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The fix should have been permanent. I'll get somebody to double check things but I've currently no problems emailing from Plusnet to the test Fastmail account I set up? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hamilton36
Grafter

My test emails have just been delivered too.  All 3 of them, but it took over 12 hours!   In comparison, Emails sent from AOL and Gmail got delivered in less than 30 secs.
Thanks again,
Alex
jim:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you raise a support ticket or private message me a copy of the headers from one of those delayed messages, then I should be able to give you an idea as to why it happened. It's not necessarily a Plusnet problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hamilton36
Grafter

Thank you Bob. I may yet have to do that, but it is working OK at the moment - i.e. emails delivered in seconds.
Thanks again,
Alex
jim:quote
vanessen
Rising Star

I have an email account with Fastmail and a some domains hosted by Just-The-Name (same group as Plusnet) , and those emails are delivered to my Fastmail Inbox.  One of them is used for some international work.
First problem I noticed was on July 14 when a number of emails came at exactly the same time, but on opening them I found they had been sent on July 9,10,11 and 12.
Then one of my colleagues suspected I was not getting some emails to my main Fastmail inbox, and he got a bounce message on July 21, for an email he sent to me on July 16.  Now another colleague has reported a bounce with the same timings.  No other bounces reported so far
I tested at about 09:00 on July 23 and again on July 24 by sending emails from my Plusnet webmail account to both addresses on Fastmail.  NONE of these 4 has been delivered or bounced (as of about 15:24 on July 24).  A test email to the underlying fastmail address (ie not using the hosted domains came through instantly.  So the problem is somewhere in the forwarding system.
I raised 'tickets' with Just-the-name and with Fastmail on July 21.  Jon at JTN was helpful on the phone and I now have some feedback but absolutely no indication of timescales for a fix.  Kurian at FM is reponsive through the ticket and said that he was in contact with Bob Pullen.  Hence the post of this thread.  I told Kurian that there was no 'service status' board for JTN and that on the Service Status for Plusnet there is no indication of any problems.
This is an insidious problem which seems to eat some emails and let though others - I suspect it is affecting many customers.
For me it is a bit of a disaster.
- Christopher van Essen -