cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to put a yahoo account in Windows Mail?

rena
Grafter

Is it possible to put a yahoo account in Windows Mail?

Could someone pelase tell me if it is possible to put a yahoo (or ymail account) into Windows Live? I have managed to successfully put in my Plusnet account but I can't seem to put yahoo in. Could someone please tell me the steps to do it (if it is possible)? thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Is it possible to put a yahoo account in Windows Mail?

Is it a BT Yahoo! account? You may need to upgrade to Premium Mail if it is, as otherwise you can only access BT Yahoo! mail via a web browser.
I don't use Windows Live mail myself, but the account settings should be as follows:
Incoming mail server (POP3) - mail.btinternet.com - port 110
Outgoing mail server (SMTP) - relay.plus.net - port 25 (assuming you are using your Plusnet connection)
Username - the bit before the @ in your email address
Password - the password for the email address
rena
Grafter

Sorry i'm not sure if it's Bt?  I just went into http://uk.yahoo.com/ and near the top right you get the option to 'sign up'. This is what I did and i now have a yahoo address but I never noticed anything about BT?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

In that case, no - I thought you might have been using an old BTinternet email address, as I do. Yahoo! mail is like Hotmail and is web browser access only, unless you pay for their Yahoo! Email Plus service.
rena
Grafter

Ok, thanks Jaggies.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Ah, yahoo do have an imap service, available to non-paying members. A simple search for "yahoo imap" should find the settings needed.
That's RPM to you!!
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

I noticed that, but it says it's only for mobile devices and doesn't work on PCs.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well it does work. They just say it's not recommended to use it that way on a computer, nothing about it not working. They're probably saying it because it bypasses all their adverts in the webmail. Roll_eyes
That's RPM to you!!
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Interesting.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

A bit late coming in  Roll_eyes I have had a "yahoo.co.uk" email address for quite a few years and access it via POP3 (using SSL, which may be a requirement). If it is a "yahoo.com" e-mail, I believe they require a payment account. I mostly use it with "disposable" addresses so I can just drop them if I start getting spam (and it identifies the "culprit") Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.