cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Possible to change your Username?

Wingco39
Grafter

Is it Possible to change your Username?

I'm new to PN and when I signed up a few weeks ago I chose a user name without realising that it would form the domain part of my email address i.e. the bit after the @ I want to change it for security reasons. Can I and how? I've been told by customer support that I'm stuck with it. But how difficult can it be  Lips_are_sealed
8 REPLIES 8
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Is it Possible to change your Username?

It is not something that can be done. Have a look at:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,100740.0.html
Wingco39
Grafter

Thanks for that acr. Looks like I just have to threaten to leave :'(. I see that Sadie got her new email address in the end!  Really I can't beleive that in a company who's business is IT that it can't be done because it requites "too much manual work". Sounds like the folks at PN require a bit of systems integration then! Sad  Yeh Yeh, G-Mail, register a Domain name etc etc. I just can't be bothered with all the hassle frankly and I shouldn't have to. Disappointed in my first week with PlusNet and wish that someone had pointed out the ramifications when choosing a user name. I'll stick it out for twelve months then I'm off!
James
Grafter

Hi there,
From what I can tell you signed up online?  I've attached a picture of the bit in our signup journey where it asks you to choose a username.  It does tell you that this forms part of the email address.
I'm genuinely sorry that you're not happy with our stance on this and the fact that we are unable to change a username once signed up is a limitation. Is this merely just a case of you not liking your email address?
Wingco39
Grafter

James,
Appreciate your comments but perhaps the page you mentioned could give examples of how the username would appear in the eventual email address e.g. XXXXX@username.plus.com where the only part that could be altered to generate alternate addresses would be the XXXX part. Emphasis should be placed on the issue of choosing the correct username as it will appear in EVERY email address you care to generate, and not the more usual syntax for email addresses as username@plus.com where the username can be changed to generate alternate email addresses providing that the alternate username is not already in use.
So it's not that I don't like my username it's just that I will now have to reveal my initials and surname in every alternate address I care to generate - not a good idea in terms of security. Sad
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If you did purchase a cheap domain name and used that as your email address if you then moved ISP your email address would go with you.
For example www.wingco39.co.uk is available for around £6 for two years.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Wingco39,
Thanks for your time on the phone, send me a PM when you have those details.
Jojo Smiley
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

One of the first things I did 12.5 years ago when I connected to the internet was to purchase two domain names so that I never had to divulge my ISP email address and also so that I never have to change my address when changing ISPs. I'm now on my third ISp but my email address remains what it's always been. In fact I've got about a dozen now for various purposes.
Alternatively use a service such as Googlemail
Wingco39
Grafter

Strat & acr,
Thank you for the help and all  the advice. Nice to know that all the people on these forums are so helpful.  Other forums I've posted on have never been as responsive, gold stars all round. 8). Might just go with a domain name registration but I'll think it over  Undecided
Thanks again for all the advice. Smiley