Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet a Spam abused honeypot?

FIXED
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Is Plusnet a Spam abused honeypot?

ISTM that SPAM is   getting more pestilent, and Plusnet seems not able to pick it out, even it includes words like 'factura', is not English, and emanates from a server owner listed numerous times on an abuse database. Want some new suspenders for the socks, Plusnet?

Three such examples received are:

185.254.120.68 <E1gZ6wB-00012M-Va@inmx18.plus.net> 
185.254.120.96 <E1gaB4B-0008M6-Ih@inmx07.plus.net>
185.254.120.99 <E1ga8NE-0006bL-W2@inmx16.plus.net>

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
29 REPLIES 29
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Is Plusnet a Spam abused honeypot?

Hi there.

Have you tried marking the e-mails as spam in webmail?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf, I think the point @Luzern is trying to make is that these emails are quite evidently Spam so should be caught by the default Plusnet filtering and treated as such without the need to train the system.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately spam identification is not an exact science and relying on non-existent words would simply not work reliably.

Usually when new or increased levels of spam occur they get picked up and marked correctly after a short period of time.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's very true @Chris and is a caveat of Bayesian filtering but when the source is known to be on blacklists then surely the Plusnet systems should reject it by default?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I missed that part of the original post, however as you know there are multiple types of abuse list (not necessarily blacklist), blocking every single mail from every IP address on every abuse list out there would realistically mean that very few mails get through.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris wrote:

... blocking every single mail from every IP address on every abuse list out there would realistically mean that very few mails get through.

I don't think that some users would complain, but a fair point. @Luzern it looks like the best (only) option you have here is to drop them in to your Spam folder so the system can learn.

Luzern
Hero

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi there.

Have you tried marking the e-mails as spam in webmail?

@Gandalf I receive my emails using Thunderbird.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Luzern 

Are you able to check if there are any spam settings in your client which can be changed to catch these unwanted emails? 

I'm afraid that when it comes to 3rd party clients we have little power to assist. 

Have you set you spam settings in webmail itself? 

Thanks, 

MoR

Luzern
Hero

@MasterOfReality

Aggressiveness of the spam filter: 5

I don't see in Webmail how to mark items as Spam; no icon.Undecided

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Luzern, there isn't an option to mark as spam, but you can drag & drop an email into the junk/ spam folder.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luzern, if you are using the basic Plusnet webmail interface the icon you are looking for is this:

Spam

And for Thunderbird select the message you want to mark, right click it select Mark and from the sub options select As Junk.

Mark &gt; As Junk

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LaurenB, Are you sure? See my post above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luzern - As a P.S. to the above, I don’t know what anti spam system Plusnet use but if it is any of those listed below then you can set Thunderbird to trust the junk headers added by these systems.

Trusted Headers

Use Tools > Account Settings > Junk Settings and you can set the trust option in the right side panel (as shown above).

Luzern
Hero

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luzern, if you are using the basic Plusnet webmail interface the icon you are looking for is this:

Spam

And for Thunderbird select the message you want to mark, right click it select Mark and from the sub options select As Junk.

Mark &gt; As Junk

Hope this helps.

@Anonymous Thanks. :)That delightful webmailicons.gif

icon does not appear.