cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad / iPhone Settings Change Folliwng Fiber Install

bazzer
Pro

Ipad / iPhone Settings Change Folliwng Fiber Install

After connecting a new fiber router and changing the respective settings to connect an iPad and iPhone to the new router should I have to change anything within my email settings in order to send and receive emails?
37 REPLIES 37
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Ipad / iPhone Settings Change Folliwng Fiber Install

no
cedlor
Grafter

No - are you having a problem? are you sure the devices are connected?
bazzer
Pro

It's actually my Brothers devices which, he tells me, are connected but he's getting no mails on either device.
I will call him to ensure they are definitely connected. I think they are as he says he has been browsing.
bazzer
Pro

It would appear that he can send emails but he can't receive. I am also on PN and when I go through his email settings they are exactly the same as mine yet when I email him I receive a "Permanent Error" message by return.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Following the permanent error text details of the actual error should be given in a separate paragraph. . What does this say?
David
bazzer
Pro

I have some further information following my brothers near 1hr call with PN customer service.
This is the message I receive when I attempt to mail him:
A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server 212.159.9.1 responded with: ** email-address@plus.com 550:Denied: Invalid mailbox (email-address@plus.com) ** I have removed his email address** This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout03.

When he quoted this error message he was told that the IP address is not one of PN's. I beg to differ as an IP address search says it is. PN told him that it's my problem despite the fact that I was able to email him before he upgraded to fiber and I am emailing others and receiving emails several times a day without issue.
PN sent him two emails which he did receive but he has received no emails from anyone since he went offline after he was switched to PN but had to wait for several days for the router.
The issue with him not receiving emails applies across all platforms - PC / iPad / iPhone
Would much appreciate your combined knowledge in this area and opinion or where the fault lies.
To reiterate that before he upgraded to fibre everything in terms of mail send and receipt was fine so something has happened during the time that he has upgraded to fiber. If it was just my emails that he isn't receiving I would accept that something has occurred my end but he is not receiving any mails other than the two that PN sent.
Thank you.
NedLudd
Grafter

bazzer
Pro

Thanks for the link.
Nothing has changed in terms of his settings prior to or after the upgrade to fiber. Would there be a requirement to change anything in his settings other than the router he is now connecting to?
Other than his iPhone / iPad it is also Outook Express on his PC that isn't receiving emails.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

His email address should be whatever@username.plus.com with 'whatever' as set up for the default email mailbox in Manage My Mail (or anything if catch all is turned on). 'username' should be replaced with the appropriate username/accountname for his account.
David
bazzer
Pro

I omitted his email address for security reasons and replaced it with one that is not in the same format but the message does display it correctly.
I have had someone else email him from a completely different email address on a different network and they are receiving the same error message.
Is it agreed that the error message I and others have received suggest that his mailbox is at fault?
He is not receiving emails to his webmail either but if he sends me an email from webmail and I reply he does receive that.
bazzer
Pro

Do PN support read these forums?
Getting nowhere fast with this despite my brother contacting support 4 times!!!
Different explanations every time he calls as to what the problem is, even pushing the issue out to me until I disproved that by getting other people to email him and all receiving the same error message.
Absolutely unbelievable that by upgrading to a higher product you can be completely cut off and find little help to resolve.
If PN support read this I hope someone pulls their finger out and gets this issue resolved once and for all.
PN used to be brilliant on customer support and I used to wholeheartedly recommend them but this episode makes me question whether there customer service levels have suffered in recent times.
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

It is a plusnet email address not a force9 one ?
If you can reply to an email he sent can you see the return address ?
DM
NedLudd
Grafter

With iPads & iPhones, deleting the relevant email details and re-entering often solves the problem!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
bazzer
Pro

Quote from: Champnet
It is a plusnet email address not a force9 one ?
If you can reply to an email he sent can you see the return address ?
DM

Yes it is a PN address.
It seems that if I send an email to domainname@domainname.plus.com he receives but if I use the email address he has had for years (name@domainname.plus.com) he can no longer receive this. When I send him an email to domainname@domainname.plus.com and he replies I see this reply and it is from domainname@domainname.plus.com.
PN asked him to create a new mailbox today as the mailbox he originally had has now disappeared. All this has occurred since upgrading to Fiber. I know that he hasn't touched the mailbox settings as he is IT illiterate and wouldn't even know where on the PN website these settings sit.