cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Loss email

bobthepcbuilder

Intermittent Loss email

Has anyone had any random dropouts of email sending or receiving both hard wired and wireless. if so what did you do to resolve it?

the most common error seems to be 10060 Connection timed out error. every now and then its a bad IP address.

The internet works fine. Its just getting a bit tiresome tethering on to another network for sending and receiving mail

Sometimes it is problems receiving email and others it is sending or sending and receiving

Timeout settings were increased to 5 minutes

most computers using microsoft outlook 2010 or newer.

All windows 10

Dedicated line Plusnet router running through Cat 7 cables to desktops with wireless setup for mobile devices.

All email settings are correct and work on all computers and devices 100% of the time when tethered to my virgin mobile phone wirelessly.

My suspicions are with the line or junction box

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Intermittent Loss email

Hi @bobthepcbuilder, welcome to the Forum. You're not the only one that gets this. My email client will pop a message up now and again telling me that the connection attempt as timed out. This appears to be a well known idiosyncrasy of the Plusnet mailing system and something we just tolerate I'm afraid.

Edit: Thought it best to add this.

This issue may not actually be a fault in the mailing system, it may well be, and quite probably is, that the server is to busy due to load to respond and as a result you get a time out.

bobthepcbuilder

Hi Mook

Thanks for the reply. This is something that has baffled me now for some time. I have a hosting reseller account with a uk company. I offer unlimited hosting to my clients. I design their websites setup the email accounts and help with seo and digital marketing.  This is the only client that seems to have email issues. My server log files show no issues amd i can send and receive emails no problem when tethering to my mobile phone or if i remove the computer or laptop and test from other locations. I have no problems when using roundcube for email. As i type i have noticed the sending of emails is ok but receiving is down on the plusnet but still up and working on the test machine tethered to the phone. I have notticed a huge drop in line speed when this occurs. this is todays speed tests.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to email

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bobthepcbuilder That’s quite a variation in speed there, so is it due to:

an intermittent fault on your line
or
a system, process or user using your bandwidth

It might be an idea to log into your Plusnet account and follow the line test guides to see if they can spotlight anything for you.

What exactly do you mean by “This is the only client …”

bobthepcbuilder

I am freelance and all my clients have websites and email setup on my main server. This is the only client that i seem to be having issues with. the email sending and receiving seems to be back up again with no intervention. I will log into plusnet and run the tests. The number of computers in the office never change and they are used for general office duties. Online use is for email, website orders and updates. My thoughts were an intermittent line fault also.

Thank you

Bob

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @bobthepcbuilder, I'm sorry to hear you're having what seems to be intermittent connection issues. Checking from this side everything is looking fine to the router with no sign of what could be behind the intermittent connection you've seen at times. I did notice your speeds look to be currently capped at 35Mbps by the automated line management and given your line estimates are 25-39.9Mbps I've placed a request to get this cap removed meaning you may see a slight increase in speed in the next 48 hours.
As we aren't detecting any underlying issues then can I ask, other than the intermittent issues with sending emails have you noticed any other signs of connection problems?
Since the timeout settings were adjusted to 5 minutes have emails been having problems sending?
When the problem occurred, did you see any trends between the recipients in which the emails were being sent to? Whether they were all with the same email provider at all?