cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing plus net email on an LG GT540 optimus

27clh

Installing plus net email on an LG GT540 optimus

Hi all
I am wondering if any of you have managed to set up plus net email on an lg gt540 or optimus as it's sometimes called.
I bought the phone a few weeks back and have been getting used to the basic functions as it is a completely different phone my beloved old motorola pebl.
The Lg gt540 was bought from orange as I wanted to be able to start accessing emails etc from my phone and this so the orange shop guy told me would be great for that.  However for the last few days I have been battling with it.  I have phoned orange help line and they are hopeless they struggle to understand me and I struggle to understand them (whole reason I joined plus net!) 
Anyway from selecting the email function I have 3 choices MS Exchange, Orange email or Others so I select others
the phone asks me to type in my email address:  done,
Password done, same as signing in to plus net
Show password: have left unticked
Send email from this account by default: have left unticked
then hit next
choose pop 3 or IMAP, so chose POP3
then hit next
Incoming mail server: I have typed mail.plus.net
Use SSL:  I have no idea what this is so have left unticked
Port number; It already has 110 typed in but I can change this but have no idea what this is for or what it should be so have left as 110
then hit next
Heading is outgoing server settings
Outgoing mail server:  I have typed relay.plus.net
Same as incoming server:  I have left unticked
Use SSL:  have no idea so have left unticked
SMTP authentication: have no idea so have left ticked
Use the same ID and PW: have left ticked
scrolling down heading is outgoing server login
ID: already shows my name
Password: seems to be already typed in (astericks shown)
Port number: already has 25 typed in but have no idea what this is so have left
Then hit OK and it says is is "checking incoming server settings" and eventually say "invalid account, please check email address password
Apologies for the length of the post, but I hope this makes sense to someone who can  perhaps offer some advice as to where I am going wrong because I am really confused and have no idea what to do
Thanks very much in advance
Claire
very frustrated  Sad
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Installing plus net email on an LG GT540 optimus

The gt540 is an Android phone isnt it ?
If so you probably need to use the 'manual setup' option for the email client. See this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90088.0.html for the HTC Desire , it should be pretty similar.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Installing plus net email on an LG GT540 optimus

Good morning Claire,
I've had a quick read through your post.
What you'll need to do, if your phone isn't connected to your plusnet wireless connection, is put a tick next to "SMTP Authentication" this basically means you are required to login to the outgoing mail server, in order to be able to send emails. Please also put a tick next to "use same ID and PW as incoming server"
Your username to login, will just be the account username, example: anything@accountusername.plus.com
Everything else seems to be okay.
Please let me know if you have any further issues.
Regards,
Matt