cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insecure email

Wyzzy

Insecure email

In this day and age, is anybody else concerned that your Plusnet email service doesn't use a secure connection to your email client? I guess if you only ever use webmail, you're ok, but if you use your mobile phone or Outlook/Apple Mail on your desktop or any other email client to manage your plusnet email box, you're stuck with a non-SSL connection.

Come on PlusNet - get with the times and offer us a service that's fit for purpose. And while you're at it, please increase the ridiculous size of the email storage limit. 1Gb total shared amongst 4 family members simply isn't realistic these days!

Generally I'm happy with your service, but the email aspect is lagging so far behind the industry best practices now, it's feeling like time to start looking for another ISP...

3 REPLIES 3
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Insecure email

Absence of SSL has been raised numerous times before; USE SEARCH BOX to see PN's previous

response. If you used POP3 e mail, and not leave copies on PN Server, the server limit

you complain about wouldn't be relevant.

I no longer use PN, but another YORKSHIRE ISP, and I have SSL & IP6 functionality Smiley

If SSL is key for you didn't you do some research before switching?

Wyzzy

Hi Gel, thanks for your reply!

I have been a loyal customer of Plusnet for very, very many years. Back in the day, when I first signed up, SSL almost unheard of and was by no means standard. My family's use of email was also much less, so a small size limit was not a problem. We were using POP3 back then, since nobody was accessing the account from more than one email client, that worked reasonably well.

My point is that Plusnet have failed to keep up with the market, to the point now where a total lack of SSL support - even as a paid premium option, is almost negligent in my opinion. The majority of users may not think to ask such a fundamental question before signing up - you would just assume a market leading brand in the UK would take pride in being at the forefront of security and best practices. It's super-sad to see the subject has been raised so many times before, and yet PN continue to ignore customer feedback. 

So, with respect, it's not a case of me not having done my research before moving to Plusnet - quite the opposite. I HAVE done my research, and compared to just about every other major ISP, Plusnet stand out as not caring about email security. So now I am very seriously considering switching, but away from Plusnet, not to them. It would be a shame, but this, coupled with a string of recent very poor support experiences have stirred me out of lethargy to actively consider alternative providers.

Your suggestion of POP3 is totally impractical unfortunately for my use case where these days, accessing and managing the same email box from multiple clients is fundamental - IMAP is the only way to go.

Which ISP are you using now BTW, they might just win a new customer....

Zdenka
Hooked

Definitely agree there. Even found post from 2009 suggesting PN engineers were looking at it but nearly 10 years later no progress. I only have company phone now so have no option but to use Outlook client. Microsoft enforce SSL now, managed to bypass it by putting port numbers on the end of addresses but that’s not a way to go.

What will it take for Plusnet to act? Massive man-in-the-middle attack and negativite publicity?