cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming emails to my laptop suddenly stopped loading

Duke1980

Incoming emails to my laptop suddenly stopped loading

Hi, I'm a first time user of the community simply because I cannot get any technical help from Plusnet due to the problem with the Corona Virus. Can't get through on the phone or email chat. Trying not to complain too much for obvious reasons.

Two days ago, all incoming emails via home broadband stopped loading. When I click on inbox, the "syncing" icon on the email page just keeps rolling on and on and on. I am using Mailbird on a Laptop which has worked perfectly for years. Weirdly, I can send emails from my laptop normally. Also, alll emails are loading to my mobile phone as normal.

I have tried logging in to Plusnet webmail directly which as everyone know is very slow anyway. However, an error message just comes up which is meaningless and the emails won't load. 

Does anyone know how to check settings or other information which might be leading to this fault. The last time something like this happened, it could only be resolved by a phone call to a tech person at Plusnet. Can anyone at Plusnet help?

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Incoming emails to my laptop suddenly stopped loading

Hi @Duke1980 

A warm welcome to the forums.  You might find a technical error message meaningless, but none the less it helps to share it.  Someone will know what it means.

I would suspect that you have an email with a large attachment (a photo?) which is causing difficulty with the download.  Until that large item is dealt with (deleted via webmail) synchronisation could be impaired.

Slow webmail

There is a known gremlin in the third party Round Cube webmail program which can cause delays in listing emails - see the end user mitigation post at the top of the Email board here. It somewhat appears that any sorting or filtering on a large mailbox cripples the performance of RC webmail, where as the 'basic' webmail program (Squirrel Mail) is not affected. Using Squirrel Mail can be an effective way of accessing a mail box which is running slow with RC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Duke1980

Re: Incoming emails to my laptop suddenly stopped loading

Many thanks for your swift response. I actually made contact with PlusNet support this morning on the phone and was helped enormously. Well done to the guy on the phone. He checked everything and made some suggestions about my email client settings. I went on client settings and removed the account as advised. When I set up again, I discovered an error on the username on incoming service which for some reason just read "mail" instead of my username. I changed this and everything returned to normal and I am now fully operational.

Thanks you all for your support