cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming emails stopped

TerryPN
Hooked

Incoming emails stopped

email has been working fine for a long time then on 17th Sept at 08:30 *****@globalnet.co.uk emails stopped coming in. I looked on webmail several times and there were no new emails there either. I could send emails but nothing came in.

*****@*****.plus.com emails from PlusNet came in fine.

PlusNet did a 'refresh' but this made things worse. I cannot send emails and cannot sign on to webmail.

What is the issue with emails, please?   

84 REPLIES 84
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Incoming emails stopped

Sorry to hear that.

I can see this issue is with the correct team for investigation

We'll update you when we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
TerryPN
Hooked

Thank you.  This is the first response from Plusnet that I have received during the last week.

TerryPN
Hooked

I am becoming more and more concerned about not having access to our emails. Because I have not received any response from the second line support teams, I need to look at the situation from our end and seek help where I can.

Our POP3 email has been running quite happily for over two years on this pc using Thunderbird. No changes to settings have been made recently. We normally receive about 100 emails a day.

On 17 Sept at 08:30 (8 days ago) emails stopped coming in.  These included those addressed to legacy address ****@globalnet.co.uk and those forwarded, for example from websites I maintain.  I could send emails, but nothing came in, as tested by myself and others. There have been no new emails on webmail.

Plusnet told me emails were working because one addressed to me at *****@*****.plus.com was delivered successfully, and yes it was there on my alternative Plusnet sign-on webmail.

Plusnet then did a ‘Refresh’ which totally killed access to the email services.  I could no longer access our legacy webmail, and we could no longer send emails using Thunderbird.

****@globalnet.co.uk webmail displayed the messages ‘Connection to IMAP server failed’ and ‘Server Error:  LOGIN: Login failed’.

Thunderbird is now constantly asking for a new password when I try to connect.

I can still access  *****@*****.plus.com webmail.

There are clearly at least two issues:

• The Madasafish / Global legacy email service has failed in some way.
  • The ‘Refresh’ has destroyed my email access.

How can you, and others, help?  What can I do at my end, please.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I'm sorry the ticket hasn't been picked up yet. I'll do my best to get someone to pick that up today. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TerryPN
Hooked

Thank you for your comment.  However there is still no response from anyone. It is now 11 days since the problem started.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@TerryPN I think I've resolved the problem. Could you do me a favour and just check your global net mail to see if it's working again? It might take about half an hour. If that doesn't work then I have a few people I can speak to. If it does then I'll explain what the problem was. 

TerryPN
Hooked

Thank you for checking.

I can now gain access to web mail for my globalnet.co.uk address.

The webmail has 58 new emails but from random dates over the last twelve days. 

Thunderbird again asked for my POP3 password, and accepted it this time, and eventually all 58 emails came in. During the last few minutes two new emails from today have come through.

I have started Thunderbird several times during the last hour and each time it asks for my POP3 password. Do you know why?

I expected at least 1200 emails to come in ( 12 days at 100/day ). Only a random few came in. Where are the others, please?

Thanks for your help.

. . . . Comments added later: 

For the last week or so Windows 10 has been displaying messages at random times saying

'Your globalnet settings are out of date'

It has just been displayed again. I have not altered anything.

TerryPN
Hooked

A few emails from the last two weeks came in every so often today, but now they appear to have stopped . . . 

Where are all the others ? ? ?

Now they  have started again and four more from different days have come in . . .

TerryPN
Hooked

Hello Joe.  Thank you, a few keep arriving.  Yes, can you explain what the problem was, please.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @TerryPN,

I'm glad to hear that it's started working again. I've spoken to Joe and he's advised me that a disabled component on the account was most likely the cause of the issue and that he re-enabled it, which seems to have done the job based off of what you are saying. If there are any further issues, please let us know and we'll be happy to take a further look into this matter.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TerryPN
Hooked

Thank you Alex..

What about the missing emails over the last two weeks?

Why do I keep being asked to enter my POP3 password, please?

Terry. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Why do I keep being asked to enter my POP3 password, please?

Are you checking the box to tell Thunderbird to ''remember my password' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@TerryPN

Thunderbird repeatedly asking for a password can be caused by problems with its password store. Going into the store and completely deleting lines relating to the server name, username and password combinations will force Thunderbird to request and store a fresh copy. In my experience this cures the problem.

David
Riverside
Grafter

Hi

I'm experiencing the same issue as TerryPN mentions at the top of this thread.

I use Thunderbird to download my mail and it stopped retrieving incoming mail on/after 7pm on 8th October.

I've not made any changes to Thunderbird and have seen no updates saying there's been any version update since July.

I'm not getting anything, not even a time out. Standard server settings: POP Mail server, mail.plus.net etc.

Could someone advise if there is a further issue with the legacy (Madasafish) e-mail service please?