Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming email being rejected as Spam

LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Incoming email being rejected as Spam

Hi,

Firstly I have seen similar posts but haven't found a solution, and can't see a way of joining an earlier discussion thread.

I volunteer for a Charity and frequently email a group. This has not caused any problems in the past but suddenly I am getting reports that email replies are being bounced back by plusnet, this occured yesterday. What I find odd is that if an incoming email is blocked I would expect to receive an email to notify me so that I can confirm whether or not the email in question is legitimate; I have no record of recieving any such notifications

So far the problem seems to be associated with emails sent from Microsoft 365 Exchange Servers and Gmail and possibly is linked to group emails (ie when the sender has "replied all"). Although I have tried emailing the group and my plusnet address from my own personal Gmail account and the email got through without delay. Below is the bounceback message the sender received. I can send a screenshot provided by the Gmail user if that would help.

Can someone advise me of what the issue is; the email concerned was fairly routine response to a consultation on a legal matter.

Your message to xxxx@xxxxx.plus.com couldn't be delivered.

xxxxx.plus.com suspects your message is spam and rejected it.

Office 365

xxxxx.plus.com

Sender

Action Required

Messages suspected as spam

How to Fix It

Try to modify your message, or change how you're sending the message, using the guidance in this article: Bulk E-mailing Best Practices for Senders Using Forefront Online Protection for Exchange. Then resend your message.

If you continue to experience the problem, contact the recipient by some other means (by phone, for example) and ask them to ask their email admin to add your email address, or your domain name, to their allowed senders list.

Was this helpful? Send feedback to Microsoft.

More Info for Email Admins

Status code: 550 5.7.350

When Office 365 tried to send the message to the recipient (outside Office 365), the recipient's email server (or email filtering service) suspected the sender's message is spam.

If the sender can't fix the problem by modifying their message, contact the recipient's email admin and ask them to add your domain name, or the sender's email address, to their list of allowed senders.

Although the sender may be able to alter the message contents to fix this issue, it's likely that only the recipient's email admin can fix this problem. Unfortunately, Office 365 Support is unlikely to be able to help fix these kinds of externally reported errors.

Original Message Details

Created Date:

7/8/2021 10:14:49 AM

Sender Address:

Recipient Address:

xxxx@xxxxx.plus.com

Subject:

RE: IHBC Legal Panel - Law Commission of England and Wales: Programme of Law Reform

Error Details

Reported error:

550 5.7.350 Remote server returned message detected as spam -> 552 Spam Message Rejected

DSN generated by:

CWLP123MB4546.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

Message Hops

HOP

TIME (UTC)

FROM

TO

WITH

RELAY TIME

7/8/2021
10:14:49 AM

CWXP123MB3525.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

mapi

7/8/2021
10:14:50 AM

CWLP123MB4546.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2, cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384)

1 sec

Original Message Headers

6 REPLIES 6
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Incoming email being rejected as Spam

Hi @LoneBee,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Are you including any attachments in the emails you're sending out? Additionally, to around how many people are the emails being sent to at once?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
LoneBee
Rising Star

Hi,

There were no attachments to my email, only a link to a UK Government website.

The email was sent out to 11 recipients.

Lone

1066_1066
Grafter

@LoneBee wrote:

Hi,

There were no attachments to my email, only a link to a UK Government website.

The email was sent out to 11 recipients.

Lone

Did the email contain ONLY a link? I suspect not but if it did then it is likely to be treated as spam.

LoneBee
Rising Star

No the link was contained with a longer message. My outgoing email appears to have been received by the recipients without any problems. The problm arose when some tried to reply to my email; one of the replies included a link to the Welsh Parliament website, but as part of a longer normal text email.It was sent from a Law Commission for Wales address.

lasors

Firstly - you may want to check your post for links as you have some left you may not want.

You'll need to check whether the senders email address has been spoofed and has made it onto a blacklist somewhere - or its a generic reply address which doesn't match the header. In any case you might want to see if you can change spam settings as detailed here:  https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/spam-protection-guide/

its likely you aren't getting notified as its diverted before it attempts to reach you,  if so you'll need to chase Plusnet support for an answer, or maybe a superuser can help.

LoneBee
Rising Star

Thanks for the advice on the link, I see editing them hasn't broken the link - I can't seem to edit it though.

I don't think there is an issue with the sender's email being spoofed, emails sent to me only are arriving normally. It seems to arise when using "reply all" to the group as a whole. I will have a go at adjusting my spam settings and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks

Lone