cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Emails Show on Webmail, not downloaded to Windows Mail

steveal
Grafter

Incoming Emails Show on Webmail, not downloaded to Windows Mail

Webmail shows a group of emails in my inbox from 18.05 to 20.26 today (it is 21.43 now).

None of them have made it to my Mail app on my PC.

I just forwarded one of the messages from webmail to my Gmail account and it arrived at my Mail app instantly.

Why could that be?

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Incoming Emails Show on Webmail, not downloaded to Windows Mail

Lots of reasons!!

What device and email program are you using? (By Windows Mail do you mean that basic WIn10 email program?)

What error messages do you see?

Has this ever worked?

Have you made any changes?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

steveal
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

I gave up on Webmail having spent hours trying to delete messages to reduce mailbox size. Messages were going from 'Deleted items' to 'Trash' and back 'round again...

Is there a more awkward page on the internet than Plusnet Webmail? (feels like the internet in Victorian times).

I'm giving up on Plusnet email too.

Gmail just seems so quick and simple, either as webmail or through a PC client!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Given your more detailed description, I would suspect that in the Plusnet mail box there is a mail item with a massive attachment, which is causing the server to time out.  Webmail is just another IMAP client, albeit running in the Plusnet estate.

Slow webmail

There is a known gremlin in the third party Round Cube webmail program which can cause delays in listing emails - see the end user mitigation post at the top of the Email board here. It somewhat appears that any sorting or filtering on a large mailbox cripples the performance of RC webmail, where as the 'basic' webmail program (Squirrel Mail) is not affected. Using Squirrel Mail can be an effective way of accessing a mail box which is running slow with RC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

steveal
Grafter

Townman,

Thanks again for the response. Do you think it is justified to ask your customers to jump through these hoops to maintain an email account?

By coincidence, I've just now received another auto-message warning me about the size of my mailbox. Apparently, the hours of deletion did no good...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I am a customer just like you.

It’s not exactly jumping through hoops. The size of a mailbox is entirely with the control of its user. We are all fairly sloppy about the way we use technology ... failing to consider the needs and benefits of good housekeeping until it’s too late.

It does not matter who’s mail service you use or which email client you prefer - PC based or webmail - emails with large attachments tend to cause performance problems.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@steveal I never use webmail for my PN account, so I'm no expert, but I seem to remember it being said, somewhere on one of the myriad threads on this subject, that you need to (1) empty the 'deleted items' folder for the mailbox(es) concerned and (2) run the 'compact' option - from the 'cog' in the bottom LH of the window - for this to work correctly.

@Townman Sorry to intrude, but I'm getting bored - very few problems to get my teeth into.😉

John
steveal
Grafter

jab1,  thanks.

I think this rather illustrates my point about jumping through hoops.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@steveal It is not jumping through hoops, it is doing standard housekeeping.

@jab1 The additional info is helpful, especially if users are not aware that deleting items just moves the mail item to the trash folder ... in case they delete something by mistake.