Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing address book

theoldandgrey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Importing address book

Hi I am brand new to Plusnet and am completely at a loss as to how to import my address book from Windows Live Mail - I have trawled the forum but I just cannot find the appropriate instructions.  It all looks very simple but it seems that wlm isn't in the right format is this the case?  Any assitance would be appreciated
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Importing address book

A rather silly question - but why do you want to import your address book to the webmail platform
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Oh dear, am I that stupid.  If I am away from home I use webmail and it does help to have my address book on line
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Jim doesn't go away that often  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I assumed everyone who went away would have the address book on their mobile device (laptop etc.) - shows how much I know  Embarrassed
OK this may work
http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/windowsLiveMail/addressBooksAndContacts/exportContacts.htm
Export as .vcf  
Open Webmail then select Address Book and Import Contacts - I think it is the 4th icon from the left
Anotherone
Champion

Please see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103965.0.html to be aware of  potential security issues of using external sites to do multiple extractions for you, rather than doing it one by one yourself.
Edit: clarification.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I don't post links to dodgy sites - I suggest you check the link before posting in future as it just gives instructions for exporting the address book from Windows Live Mail
Anotherone
Champion

I never said the link was dodgy and I did look at it  Shocked  I've edited my post to remove the misunderstanding.
Depending on the size of the address book, it's going to be a bit tedious exporting one by one so he may go searching for means to do it in one go. As such he should be aware of that thread, as both spraxyt and myself have still yet to find a guaranteed secure method to extract the whole address book in one go into one file, rather than one by one.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Looks like you are correct you get a whole series of vcf files but all in one folder and in one step http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/200318-windows-live-mail-export-import-contacts.html but using the command here you finish up with one file
Quote from: spraxyt
Do you mean you have lots of individual .vcf files which you want to merge into a single file?
That's easy to do on a PC in a command prompt window.
cd to appropriate folder and do
copy *.vcf all.vcf
Anotherone
Champion

I did read it rather quickly, and when I made my rather hastily put together un-amended post I was trying to watch Silent Witness, so apologies.
Anotherone
Champion

I've read the new link and I wasn't clear to start if it was one file or multiple files, but it certainly looks like the whole address book.
And spraxyt's trick that you've quoted nicely deals with the multiple file scenario.
I'm still looking for a way of doing it from OE, I'll go back to the other thread for that issue.
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Thanks Old Jim and all the rest - well theoldandgrey is just that and only possess a payg phone - only used for emergencies, and no laptop or anything else I can carry around hence my need for the imported address book.  I finally got it all together but I did have the tedious job of entering all the dozens of addresses individually.  I tried to follow the command prompt way but was not clever enough to follow it through.  I hope Plusnet will set up any easier way of importing, just wait and see.  I am now going to try and group the addresses - another challenge.
Anyway guys thanks very much for your help - it seemed to spark some discussion. Smiley