cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Address Book from Outlook 2007 Windows 7) to Plusnet Webmail

chrisnunn

Import Address Book from Outlook 2007 Windows 7) to Plusnet Webmail

I have tried to import my address book from Outlook 2007 (Windows 7) to Plusnet Webmail using:
C:\Users\Userr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
There is a message which says it is importing, but the Webmail Address Book remains empty, with no contacts.
Please advise.
9 REPLIES 9
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Import Address Book from Outlook 2007 Windows 7) to Plusnet Webmail

Good Morning chrisnunn,
What you'll need to do in order to import your contacts to the webmail, is export the Outlook contacts to vCard format.
To do this, go to the contacts view on Outlook, highlight all the contacts (CTRL+A) and then click on Actions -> Forward as vCard
This will open a new email message with the vCard as an attachment, you don't need to send the email anywhere - All you do is click on File -> Save Attachments and save it somewhere on your hard drive to your desktop.
The draft message can then be deleted or saved for future reference.
Next, we need to import the vard to the plusnet webmail, to do this login to the webmail at http://webmail.plus.net with your username and password.
Click on "Address book" and then "Import Contacts" - It's the 3rd icon along on the top left, with 3 postcards and an upwards green arrow.
Search for your file on the hard drive, and upload!
Your address book will now be populated with the contents of your Outlook contacts.
Hope this helps Smiley
Matt
EDIT: Thanks Oldjim, have updated to say desktop, in case other people read this Smiley
chrisnunn

Hi Matt
I have tried to do this but I get the message:
"Cannot create file: Olktmp.vcf  Right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties in the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder."  I have Norton Internet Security - is that blocking it?
Chris Nunn
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try creating it on the desktop
It is possible that it is trying to create it in the protected area of the C: drive
chrisnunn

The problem is that I cannot create and save a vCard file of my address book.  I don't know how to create it on the desktop.
Chris Nunn
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's possible Outlook is trying to save the file to one of the Windows system directories which you won't be allowed to do. Rather than trying to save at that point I suggest emailing the message with attachment to yourself then try saving the attachment after receipt. Have you ever managed to save an attachment that someone else mailed to you (for example a photograph in JPEG format)?
David
chrisnunn

I cannot attach the contacts file to an email to myself - I get the message that Outlook cannot find the file.  But I am using the correct address:
C:\Users\Userr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
I can copy the pst contacts folder to the desktop, but I do not know how to convert it to vcd from there.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The .pst file is where Outlook stores everything, no point in copying that or trying to email it to yourself. What you need to do is follow the instructions posted by Matt above ...
Quote from: Mattz0r
... export the Outlook contacts to vCard format.
To do this, go to the contacts view on Outlook, highlight all the contacts (CTRL+A) and then click on Actions -> Forward as vCard
This will open a new email message with the vCard as an attachment, ...

Since you said you were unable to save the attachment (as per Matt's instructions which I've removed from the quote), I suggested emailing that message to yourself - type your email address in the "To" box, "Contacts" as "Subject", then Send it as you do for any other email.
When the message arrives in your inbox save the attachment as you would any other attachment.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You should be able to drag the Vcard file to a folder on the desktop if you prefer that method
This is what the first step looks like in Outlook 2003 - it is probably the same as 2007
chrisnunn

The problem seems to be that I have too many names and emails in my address book.  I can sent an email to myself with individual names and addresses, and also with small groups of them.  But I cannot create an email with the whole list attached.  I will have to create the vcf addresses in groups and then amalgamate them.
Thanks for your help.
Chris Nunn