cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPad and Email Setup

mrussell

IPad and Email Setup

Morning all, just a quick question someone might know the answer to, I’m having problems linking my Ipad to my plusnet email account I have setup my email on many laptops and smart phones many times before but for some reason just getting no joy on my ipad.
When setting up I get the option to use imap or pop and use the following
Trying with imap:
Incoming: imap.plus.net
Username: account+mailbox
Password ******
Outgoing: relay.plus.net
Username: account
Password: *****
When using these settings the ipad goes to verifying and comes back with an error asking to retry without using SSL, I click yes and it tries again at this point it just hangs for a good 5 – 10 minutes and times out.
Using POP:
Incoming: mail.plus.net
Username: account+mailbox
Password: *****
Outgoing: relay.plus.net
Username: account
Password: ******
Again it tries verifying the account comes back with retry using SSL and again when trying this it hangs for a good amount of time and times out, can’t see any real error messages that give me much to go on, certainly account, mailbox and passwords are ok as I have been through this process many times over the years I have been with plusnet.
Anyone else with an ipad have similar issues? or anyone know where I could be going wrong, the Ipad is actually the first apple product I have owned so I could well be doing something wrong.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: IPad and Email Setup

I haven't got an iPad ( or iPhone ) but there is setup guide for the iPhone here http://community.plus.net/library/email/setting-up-plusnet-email-on-an-iphone/ and I would guess its similar to the iPad.
Hope that helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MBBude

MRussell - I am having exactly the same problems.  Can received email OK (using POP), but unable to send.  Returns the following error message:
"Cannot Send Mail - The conntection to the outgoing server "replay.plus.net" failed.  Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured in Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars".
Similarly, I have successfully configured notebooks and iphones in the past.  Have double checked username / password / server details - but still not joy.
Have 'even' resorted to trying restarting the ipad couple of time to see if that made any difference - but alas no.
So similarly, any assistance greatly received.
MB
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: MBBude
outgoing server "replay.plus.net" failed. 

Welcome to the forum MBBude.
Is the 'replay' in the quote above a typo?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MBBude

Strat - yes, typo.  Should read  "relay.plus.net", not "replay.plus.net".
MB
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll see if I can test this tonight.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Tested fine on both IMAP and POP. Got time outs on SSL as expected but it then set up fine after a couple of minutes.
quantium
Grafter

Stating what someone said before, but slightly differently:
The problem we found is that to set up POP you enter on the iPad
User: account+name
password: for the email account for that specific name
to set up SMTP
User: account
password: for the whole account
This is different from setting up PCs and not logical, but it works.
itsme
Grafter

Different in which way? Servers, account names and passwords are the same no matter if a PC, touch or an ipad is used.