Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP in SORBS List

Aldabbagha
Dabbler

IP in SORBS List

Hi,

I have joined PlusNet in hope that having business line with a static IP address would resolve my issue. I run a private email server with a other services and the IP that I was given is on the SORBS spam/hacked/NoServers and Spamvertised.. I have attached the image. Can something be done? 

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: IP in SORBS List

This was discussed some while ago in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Plusnet-IP-addresses-listed-in-SORBS-blacklist/td-p/1678684

The solution is to use relay.plus.net as a Smart host to send mail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Aldabbagha
Dabbler

We use a email filter for spam with our exchange server. Not sure I can get the smarthost to work..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Aldabbagha  I'm not an Exchange expert by any means but a quick serach revealed this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/connectors/outbound-smart-host-routing?view=exch... which appears to explain how to configure an exchange server to use a smart host.

BTW the standard Plusnet help documentation is a little out of date in that relay.plus.net does support TLS encryption now.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Aldabbagha
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the link but I do know how to create smarthost for Exchange, but we use mail filter for our email

So it is like this: incoming mail --> mail filter --->  Exchange Server ---> clients

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I thought SORBS only affected outgoing mail.

Aldabbagha
Dabbler

That is correct the email filter is also used for incoming and outgoing emails

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So if the outgoing filter is an external service, isn't that effectively acting as a smart host anyway ?

Ahh , but is it that service that doesn't like your IP being on the Sorbs list ...

Aldabbagha
Dabbler

The filter is not external, it is internal as well.  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So I guess you need to configure the outgoing mail filter to use relay.plus.net as a smart host and can't ?

Aldabbagha
Dabbler

Hi,

That is correct, however, it does offer smarthost but there is option to enter any authentication.

Aldabbagha
Dabbler

That is correct, however, it does offer smarthost but there is no option to enter any authentication.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You shouldn't need to authenticate. If the mail filter is internal then it will be sending from your static ip and so relay.plus.net won't require any authentication

Aldabbagha
Dabbler

Oh I see, shall I use port 587 or 465?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser