cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Addresses listed as Blacklisted

pko
Dabbler

Re: IP Addresses listed as Blacklisted

hiMOR, this is the only recipient who is reporting this. My email had no links. I've been emailing the recipient back and forth for some time with no problem. I then started getting the following,  

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** @sargentltd.co.uk ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

I have removed the recipients name to preserve his identity.  I telephoned the guy re this, & he came back with the link from his IT team.  I have checked & double checked my settings & they are relay.plus.net & SMTP authentication is set with my username & password.  
Is it safe/ok for me to go on the Spamhaus site https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/removal/ & remove myself from the list? Webmail works fine.
kind regards
Paul
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Removing the IP address associated with your domain name will have no effect as you are sending your mail via PlusNet's mail relay and not sending it directly out yourself. The recipient's IT team were wrong to infer a link to the Spamhaus PBL - it is not relevant in this situation. To be fair, the MXToolbox tool is very misleading in this respect as, for convenience, it allows you to enter a domain name and it'll do a DNS lookup on that before submitting it to the blacklists for checking. That's not how the majority of blacklists function though.

pko
Dabbler

Hi MJN, thanks for your reply. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

regards

Paul 

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It's a difficult one as it's the recipient's mail system doing the rejecting, and unfortunately doing so in rather a cryptic fashion with that non-delivery message! Furthermore, the advise they handed out was misleading, or perhaps they really are using blacklists in a way they are not meant to be used in which case they could well be losing a lot of legitimate mail besides your own!

I don't think there's anything you, or indeed PlusNet, can do as the solution to this one lies elsewhere.

pko
Dabbler

Ok, thank you. The recipient worried me by telling me that as I was now blacklisted I'd never be able to send an email to anyone on a secure server, as it would be rejected. As this seems, as you say, a problem with their end, I'll leave it as there's nothing more I can do.

Thank you very much for your time, and the other folks who gave advice.

kindest regards

Paul