cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Addresses listed as Blacklisted

pko
Dabbler

IP Addresses listed as Blacklisted

Help please. I've been sending/receiving e mails for years using em client with no problems. Last week I tried to send an email to a trusted company who I've been dealing with for some time, & in spite of sending/receiving emails from them the previous days, I start to get the messages bounced bask as undeliverable. I phoned the recipient who advised me that my email address had been blacklisted by MT toolbox com. Following the link that he sent me, it states that my email address has in fact been blacklisted. This is only emails sent from my plus net email account. I've checked all my settings & nothing has changed. I've found the following..https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL1668764  but this doesn't really help. Emails sent from my phone on my Plusnet account are also blocked, and once again the settings are correct. Can anyone assist?

kindest regards

Paul

19 REPLIES 19
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: IP Addresses listed as Blacklisted

You say in the subject it was the IP address that was blacklisted but your email address in the post? I am assuming it's the former given the Spamhaus link, but that doesn't work ('not in the database').
pko
Dabbler

Yes sorry to confuse. It is my email address that has been blacklisted.

MJN
Pro

Spamhaus don't blacklist email addresses, so I too am a bit confused as to why you were sent that link? We can probably work out what is going wrong, but only with clarity over what's actually happening.

pko
Dabbler

ok. Is it ok to post here the link that I was sent?

paul

MJN
Pro

Hard to tell without seeing what it is! If you're unsure, feel free to send it via PM to me to limit exposure.

pko
Dabbler

Hi MJN private message sent.

paul

MJN
Pro

<PM received>

Are you sending your email out via Plusnet's relay (relay.plus.net)? If so, then I think your recipient is getting confused with what's happening.

The Spamhaus link you gave me is performing a DNS lookup on your domain and running the resulting IP address through its blacklists. One of them is indicating that the address owner (Plusnet) has indicated that email should not be being sent directly from this IP address but should instead be sent via the Plusnet mail server. This is correct and, unless you are running your own mail server, is not the cause of the failures.

It did strike me as odd that your recipient was telling you what the problem is as when a message gets dropped the recipient very rarely gets notified of this (and why).

You mentioned that you got a bounce message - what did that say?

pko
Dabbler

Hi, I'm sending the email via relay.plus.net  This is message I received after every attempt.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

[Removed]

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** [Removed]??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .
 The recipient replied when I contactacted him by phone to see why he wasn't getting my emails (although up until then he had) & he advised me that he checked with his IT team and they told him the reason & gave him this link. regards paul 

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed email address as it’s a public forum
MJN
Pro

Did it have the question marks in as shown?

(By the way, probably best to hide his email address!)

pko
Dabbler

Yes, the question marks were there. I have copied and pasted the message exactly as it came to me. Paul

MJN
Pro

Difficult to comment further unfortunately as those question marks could well be hiding clues as to what the problem is.

The recipient's IT team are best placed to diagnose this, but the suggestion they've given so far is barking up the wrong tree.

pko
Dabbler

Ok. Many thanks for your time, I do appreciate it. I'll try sending the same recepient another message in the morning & see what happens.

Many thanks for your help

kindest regards

paul

MJN
Pro

No problem, sorry I couldn't offer anything specific to solve the issue!

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @pko 

Is it only this one recipient which is having issues receiving your emails? Did the email contain any links in the footer/signature? 

MJN is right when he says that the recipients IT team are probably best placed to advise further on this - as has been said, not sure why they have provided a SH link for this issue as it does not seem to be of much relevance. 

@MJN thanks for stepping in and offering some help whilst Forums staff have been getting round to replying to this thread! 

It did strike me as odd that your recipient was telling you what the problem is as when a message gets dropped the recipient very rarely gets notified of this (and why).

I thought this as well when i started reading the thread - interesting. 

@pko let me know the answers to the above questions and anything else that you find out from this companies IT team and I'll try and assist further. 

Thanks, 

MoR