Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address of Mail Servers ?

OldRaft
Grafter

IP Address of Mail Servers ?

Hi,
I need to find the IP address of a Plusnet Email server as I need the IP address to logon and send a mail.
Is there a way to find the name of a server (possibly not one that provides  a web interface) so that I can then determine the IP address?
3 REPLIES 3
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: IP Address of Mail Servers ?

Outgoing email is handled by relay.plus.net.  An nslookup will show you the current IP address but beware that the address could change in the future.
I assume you're setting up something that can email out status reports but only allows an IP address to be used, rather than a name, for the outgoing server?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Generally we'd always recommend using the hostname rather than the IP, as pwatson states the IP may change in the future.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
OldRaft
Grafter

Thanks both,
Yes I would prefer to use a name as that is what DNS is for.........but the utility only allows an IP address it has no mechanism to resolve a URL.
I'm planning a local Email server to get rid of the problem and bring it all in house in the next few months, just have to srt out a suitable free offering and the various DNS settings open ports etc.